TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET
San Migs - 2015-01-24

Respectfully, I will dissect your posting, if I may?

Firstly, I am not a feminist. I believe women should have equal pay and rights and that's the
end of my feelings on the matter. Secondly, the eating of halal meat is absolutely
nothing to do with feminism. Eating halal meat is not radical nor is it extremist...
Just as simply being Muslim does not make you radical or extreme. I lived in London for
the vast majority of my life and have many friends both Muslim and Jewish.

The feminist accusation comes from the way you seem to round on men over anything you consider a perceived slight. We found common ground on the mong comment, I won't tolerate mocking the disabled at all, I was previously tutoring a girl with downs syndrome, very challenging, but at the end of the day, she is still a human being. Equal pay and rights is all well and good, but when women start demanding men to do things and being outrageously bossy, then I draw a line. A woman is just not as capable as a man at some aspects of life, not being sexist, but it is what it is. Can a woman move and install a sunbed by herself? Nothing against women being pilots or anything like that, but there are still come differences. You are right, halal meat has nothing to with feminism, so I shall leave that there. I did not say being muslim equates with being radical or extreme, but the fact is, there is a minority of muslims, note minority, who are happy to abuse our laws to get their own ends. As can be evidenced by the fact that students of all creeds and faiths no have no freedom of choice as to what they eat. I have muslim friends also and have studied islam a little.I still won't defend ISIS or choudary however. I believe britain should be as it is, a multi faith secular country, free from any religious extremism.

There are kosher delicatessens
dotted around England, especially in Tottenham where I'm from, just as there are halal
butchers. There is no distinction to be made between the two, both are specific
preparation of food in accordance with religious belief. What another person eats and
why is of absolutely no interest or business of mine or anybodys.

True, but jews still prefer to eat their own kosher food. You are not a spurs fan are you? You are right what another person eats is none of our business, but when a blanket decision to adopt one food is imposed, and we must like it or lump it, then I disagree. What happened to the freedom of choice NOT to eat halal food?

As said
before, the only difference is the manner in which the animal was slaughtered

Which I find barbaric and repulsive. Also aussies and brits and yanks alike, like a bit of blood in the steak. there is a difference in taste and texture between halal and non halal meat, whether you can detect it or not. I don't eat red meat anymore as I am a pescatarian, only fish and vegetables, but I could taste the difference if the two meats, esp. chicken, were placed before me, even if you may not agree with that. Not saying it tastes bad, when I taught in Oman, I had fond memories of eating at eid, when I did eat lamb/mutton.

I personally don't see why so many are offended by this

Again, freedom of choice. Just like many would not like to eat at a kosher subway, because of the dairy and meat laws in the torah, many want the freedom of choice to not to have to eat halal food. It's not a matter of offence, it is a matter of the freedom to choose and not have it imposed in a frankly outrageous manner by the few.

but saying the radicalised idiot jihadists
are indicative of all Muslims is like saying the westboro baptist church is indicative
of all Christians.

Difference is, christians and jews do not get offended to the extent they start burning embassies and people alive in tires, and burning flags and calling for caliphates. Egypt has been publishing anti semitic and anti western propaganda for ages, yet you don't see british or american or israeli people burning egyptian flags, and calling for a boycott on visiting the pyramids or the red sea. It is about maturity and accepting criticism. If islam wants to be the dominant force in the world and take the place of the old USSR or the current USA, then it will have to learn to accept criticism, pure and simple. To quote hitchens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee8f8nWVWZA

Messages In This Thread
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-19
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- yu2fa3 -- 2015-01-19
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-20
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- yu2fa3 -- 2015-01-20
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-21
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- yu2fa3 -- 2015-01-21
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-22
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- yu2fa3 -- 2015-01-22
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-22
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-23
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-23
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-24
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-24
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-25
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-25
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-26
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET

Go to another board -