TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Love + United Effort = The True Lingua of Progress
The Arrogant One - 2004-11-14
In response to language exchange (A. Lewis)

My dear Mr. Lewis:

What you have to say about the more-or-less "traditional" dependency of new arrivals (to English-speaking shores) upon their countrymen for translations is, indeed, a perfectly natural phenomenon to expect ... B-U-T, FOR HOW LONG? For any immigrant desiring to settle in, say, the USA, 'tis common sense to expect that the time will surely arrive when he/she will have to negotiate business completely in English. But, my long-term observation has revealed this as NOT being a common practice. Los Angeles, for example, is a large cosmopolitan center that has very strong Korean, Hispanic, and Chinese communities. I once heard it jokingly inferred that this is one of the only English-speaking centers in the USA in which one can be born ... attend privately operated schools (right through high school) which specialize in one ethnicity, one language, or one religion ... initiate a business which caters strictly to those of one's own culture ... flourish ... marry ... rear children ... and die -- not having spoken more than a handful of words in English! Perhaps this is somewhat exaggerated, but it isn't difficult to quickly accept the fact that, in particularly the larger coastal cosmopolitan areas, English is definitely not the primary means of oral communication -- especially in light of all the international cackling that is conducted in shops, in restaurants, on the buses ... even in the public rest rooms! Then, there's always the question of the FREE English courses offered to practically all newcomers to this land. Yes, people do attend, but not as many as you would think can ever freely utilize the language without first referring to their native tongue and, thereby, still have to go through a lengthy, often inaccurate translation process. As you have said, sir, there is still the convenience ... the safety ... the sanctuary of one's own native community to which to flee.

Yes, my friend, I can well imagine the problems you are experiencing as a result of your personal ethnic dissimilarity. As we humans are still cursed with far too many sins, of which bigotry is one, you will face rejection from not only other races, but even from those of your own nationality. In light of this country's greatness having stemmed from the contributions of a wide diversity of cultures and ethnicities, there is no reason in hell why, at this late date, we have to tolerate prejudice or any variation of same. Once America truly serves as THE bastion of equality, I feel that Asia (and the rest of the civilized world, for that matter) will eventually follow suit. At least one can always pray so. (Amen.)

It was truly wonderful to read your opinion, my brother.

Peace.

The Arrogant One

Messages In This Thread
THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS: Resolving Issues Together -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-11-12
language exchange -- A. Lewis -- 2004-11-12
Love + United Effort = The True Lingua of Progress -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-11-14
Bilingualism -- OnceWritten -- 2004-11-14
I agree!!!!!! -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-16
Post to the Month!! :D -- Dos -- 2004-11-14
whose trophy really though? -- the telegraph -- 2004-11-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Love + United Effort = The True Lingua of Progress

Go to another board -