TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Whew! ALL newbies should read Milana's thread!
Theo - 2009-05-05
In response to (Message Deleted by Poster) (Milana May)

Hello, Milana! Whew!!! I must admit that I did not read the entire thread/scenario, but I certainly read enough to get that old, familiar feeling. I learned quickly that when I would enclose personal profiles, stating experience, interests, teaching philosophy, etc., they usually ignored such matters and likely never bothered reading them.

"Interviewing" via email for ESL work in China is quite different from what one would experience in their western, home country.

The REAL interest for them lies in seeing your passport photo (caucasian is preferrable) and confirming your country of origin. A telephone call would soon follow to listen to your spoken English.

Once they determine that you're a gullible "native speaker" foreigner with a pulse, the rest is just a matter of pressuring you to get on a plane and arrive posthaste.

Frivolous issues (in their eyes) such as course content, living accomodations, shouldn't matter and can be addressed AFTER your arrival.

The email thread you provide is a sterling example of a typical recruitment cycle, and all the insanity and avoidance of concrete facts that comes with it.

I hope ALL NEWBIES considering work in China read, and re-read it carefully.

Thanks so much for taking to time to post and provide for everyone's review. Sadly, what you experienced is HIGHLY TYPICAL in China.

Best wishes to you, Milana!

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Whew! ALL newbies should read Milana's thread!

Go to another board -