TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Web International on mainland
#1 Parent StuckInChina - 2010-12-27
Re Web International on mainland

I've posted (pending moderators approval) something about Web in Jiangsu, most of which are managed by one franchise owner. These are also branches of the company to avoid. Following the rules and attempting to contribute productively to the company's quality and service will definitely land you in trouble. It goes against Web's current business practice which is to make as much money as possible and "who cares if the students learn anything or not because we've got their money."
Avoid Web. There are more professional language organizations to work for where the whole experience for foreign teachers and students is so much better.

#2 Parent englishgibson - 2010-09-01
Re: Web International on mainland

So, where are you and what do you really do? How do you protect your the teachers you recruit? I think the forum deserves some answers. Cheers and beers

#3 Parent samraimi - 2010-08-29

Or maybe they have the right to call the police at either of those locations. Think about that, due process, the law...

#4 Parent englishgibson - 2010-08-27

I didn't "randomly" show up. I had interviews at the two locations. From Shapingba (forgive my spelling), I was directed to the second interview in the Web Head Office. Both of these lame interviews were conducted by young females, locals, that didn't know much. At the head office in Jiefangbei (forgive my spelling), one of these females (an HR staff) kept disrupting with Chinese language, when I was giving a demo. A demo student who was a real thing, not an office staff peaking in, confronted the Web staff member. Well, I made it clear at the beginning of my class that no Chinese should be used. Why were you not there? Were you busy? Or, were you on a business trip to another location? In what capacity do you work at Web and where are you really based? Above all, what is your authority, when it comes to recruiting, training and evaluating foreign teachers at Web? Do you get involved in Web students' recruiting and if so then how? And, please for the sake of our forums, let's put our bitterness behind us, shall we?

All interested should know that Web has been trying to sell products that it seemingly does not have any cohesive material of. When I asked for any academic material, I got vague answers, and that they were either using some copies of pages for directions what to teach, or whatever the teachers wished to teach. It really looks like teachers tailor the courses, which would be necessarily bad. However, if a foreign teacher's lesson (s) don't fit the taste of locals, s/he will probably be thrown under the bus. Mind you, the company pushes SATs (American college entry exams), IELTS (language proficiency exams), Business English and who knows what else, or whatever they can make money of. :)

On the end, even if you prove to the local reps of schools/centers that you can do the job, you will most likely be judged by the local standards. Having such jobs on mainland China is just so dangerous as it means that you may get evaluated unfairly, and so lose further opportunities in the country or the reimbursement for return to your homeland.

Cheers and beers to all foreigners on mainland

#5 Parent Pascal Scott - 2010-08-26

Web International is a language training chain with locations across China. Web International schools are franchises; the centers in Chongqing, Urumqi, and Guangzhou are all under the same ownership. You'll note that these are the three locales I typically recruit for, while working in Chongqing Web myself. To the poster casting doubt on my identity, I hadn't realized you randomly showing up at one of our two Chongqing centers and not being able to find me was proof positive that I don't work there. I apologize; suppose my Web International corporate email address is yet another layer in this grand deception youve uncovered, the plot thickens. Do hope the thrill you got from ogling our secretarial staff made up for any wrongs you've suffered. Feel free to come and lurk in the doorways of either our Jiefangbei or Shapingba locations anytime you like.

#6 Parent englishgibson - 2010-06-22
Re Web International on mainland

this web schools guy, according to his job adverts, pascal scot, is interesting. he wants all to believe they'll find him in the school but i really don't think they would. here's another piece of his mainland web recruiting
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/China/index.pl?read=150260

note that when i came to chongqing's shapingba and jie fang bei web centers, he wasn't there..i mean he did not work there. i really have a hard time believing he'll work in either web urumuqi, shenzhen, guangzhou or any other web schools on mainland, but forgive me if he is "somewhere there".

cheers and beers to our sixth sense

englishgibson - 2010-06-18
Web International on mainland

Sorry to be making a separate thread on, but I believe it deserves attention as seeking a position on mainland means walking on a quite slippery road. Here's one icy section where you'll deal with someone that IS NOT where you think he is. However, the job advert says he is there.
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/China/index.pl?read=149990

Be aware of this individual as he's got his contacts on many other Web center adverts around China. Mind you that if a job advert says that it's a DIRECT CONTACT, it may not mean exactly that!

Once, I visited the place and there were so many lovely young local girls at work. At first, I almost felt sorry I was married, but then we had an exchange of words, business cards, emails and even job interviews. What remained attractive to me were the academic products called IELTS and SAT that's an American college entry exam test. However, I asked one of my demo students, an administrator, not to translate to another demo student that was a real demo student. I said there was no need and that we would go over to make sure all students understand the exercise. Darn, the bodacious administrator seemed to turn off at the point when I was the harrrrttttest. So, my strive ended prematurely at the great Web.

Watch out!

Cheers and beers to all hard working fts

Return to Index › Web International on mainland

Go to another board -