TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re Teaching 8 hours a week is not lazy!
#1 Parent Beth - 2014-11-05
Re Teaching 8 hours a week is not lazy!

What has speaking Chinese got to do with teaching English, though? Nothing! It helps to speak the language of the country you're living in, but it has no direct correlation to your ability to teach English! Studies have shown full immersion teaching is far more effective when teaching a foreign language, so the ability to speak the students native language is nice, but not essential to teaching them to speak English. In fact the more you speak the native language of the country you teach in, the more tempted you are to use it when teaching the lower levels, and this is counter-productive as the students learn to depend on translation rather than decoding and assimilating the new language themselves. I realise this wouldn't hinder you, as an actual language teacher will have already gotten your conversation class students way past that point by the time you get your mitts on them!

I'm afraid this view is just more evidence of your narrow scope! ESL is a much wider world than just China! How does speaking Chinese help a teacher of English in Europe, or any other country in the world? It doesn't! Because it has no baring on a persons ability to teach English!

Essentially what you are saying is this:

Beth: "I've taught in 5 countries around the world on two different continents. I'm an examiner for Cambridge ESOL, I have many years experience teaching all ages from 4-60 at all ability levels from A1-C2. I attend teaching conferences and training sessions to further my development as an effective language teacher. I am versed in all international language exams and have experience preparing students for all of them. I know how to assess a student's ability on the CEFR. I teach students everything from basic oral fluency to advanced academic reading and writing skills."

Silverboy: "Yeah, well, I teach conversation classes to students in China, who can already speak English, for a few hours a week and I can speak Chinese! I know way more about ESL teaching than you!"

Return to Index › Re Teaching 8 hours a week is not lazy!

Go to another board -