TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Teaching the under-10 age group.
#1 Parent Beth - 2014-11-12
Re Teaching the under-10 age group.

Hi Mike,

My pleasure! If I can help, I'm happy to!

Starfall is great, isn't it?! :D

Another good site for interactive learning games is: http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/learning-english/games-social/ 'Monkey Puzzles' and 'Monkey puzzles world tour' are suitable games for the age and ability of your student.

I also use http://www.english-4kids.com/ with some of my classes, there is some good stuff on there but you have to know what you're looking for!

Here's the same video I posted before, but on youku... I hope it helps! http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDI4MDgyMDcy.html

A little advice for you, don't waste your time with them, you have beaten them down, lol.
I know, but I just can't help myself! Especially when some newbie teachers read their nonsense and take it at face value... I kinda feel they need me to balance them out! ;)
#2 Parent Robert W.Knight - 2014-11-12

Hi Beth

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am using Starfall's program right at the moment, as we both like this site. Can you recommend another site, that is similar to this one? I have tried British Council but I don't care for it.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to YouTube, I know this is a good site, to find many programs, such as Sesame Street and others. My own children, when they were young watched it, at least 6 times a day, lol, it helped them, learn many things on it.

I will let you know, how it is going, in a week or so.

Once again, thanks for your help.

PS: A little advice for you, don't waste your time with them, you have beaten them down, lol.

#3 Parent Beth - 2014-11-11

Hi Robert,

I would be happy to help you, if I can!

When you're teaching short words like cat, dog etc, it's best to group them via sounds, for example, ten, pen, hen. If you get his focus on one sound group at a time, you can then blend that with starting letters to form well pronounced words. Or you can focus on the vowel sound, for example the /i/ sound, -ig, -ip, -in etc.

This is a video I made of a Chinese YL class I had of 5-6 year old students. This was at the end of eight months of teaching, from no L2 to what you see in the video. Please note, this was a goodbye video I made for the kids when I left the school, so a lot of it is us being silly, but there is a section where we play a phoneme identifying game, that you could use with your student. Basically, you drill the sound group, then give the student/s cards with those sounds, you say a sound and they have to hold up the corresponding written sound, a simple instant reward scheme like simply saying 'ding ding ding' to signify the correct selection is a wonderful motivator, and this gets the child to associate the sound with the written word and will do wonders for both their pronunciation and their reading ability (as you will see from the students in the video, featured readers are 3 students going from lower ability in the class, to middle, to top).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7lsGSgeOtk

If your student is having trouble with adding the 'ah' sound at the end of a word, you can try the chopping method. Have him hold his hand up to his mouth and literally 'chop' the word where you want him to finish, this helps to focus the student on the end sound and after a while should eliminate the 'eh' sound that you're hearing.

For the numeracy problem, there are a few things you can try. Obviously drilling is the first thing you should try. Build it in to your class so the first thing you do at the start of each session is count to 20 together. You can also use flash cards to have him order the numbers, saying each as you place them. TPR can also help with this, try associating a specific action or movement to the number and once he connect the sound to the action, vocab recall is much better. Again, repetition is key at this age, so building a routine in to the start of each lesson with give him structure and help him to remember the bits he finds trickier!

A great site for helping with pron issues is www.starfall.com - it has some wonderful interactive games that young learners love.

I hope this has helped a little, let me know how you get on!

#4 Parent Robert W.Knight - 2014-11-11

Hi Beth

Thanks for the info., I am presently teaching a 7 year old Chinese student English. He knows some basic English, like A B C's and can count to 11 but has a hard time remembering to count to 20, without my help.

I am presently teaching him how to pronounce words, such as hen, dog, cat, net, pet and so on with pictures. Also, I am using flash cards and also, I am using a computer, so he can see the words, hear them pronounce the words and say the words. He hears, for example, og, as in dog but says doge, loge,froge, foge, I am trying to stop him from saying it that way but he sometimes forgets.

What can I do to stop him from making these errors.

He can remember most of them.

Where do I do go from here?, do I continue with reading the same words or introduce him to 4 letter words?, and also, what can I do about the counting to 20, can you help with this?

From reading all your post here, you seem to have a lot of experience, in teaching this age bracket.

Thanks for your help.

#5 Parent Fifi - 2014-11-09
Re: Teaching the under-10 age group.

YEAH!!!
I am holding my breath to read T and SB's statements on how young learners should be taught!
Please T and SB, your reputation is at stake: Don't duck the challenge.

Beth - 2014-11-09
Teaching the under-10 age group.

It's difficult to go more than 24 hours on this board without someone mentioning in a derogatory tone "white monkeys dancing" in YL classes.

These insults come from people who admit they have never taught that age group, have no experience of teaching ESL to young learners and don't want to teach young learners.

So, I wanted to explain the methodology behind what these posters denigrate and after, issue them a challenge.

Firstly, most countries introduce English as a second language to children between the ages of 4-6. The experience a child has during their first exposure to English is crucial, you must ensure they enjoy this experience or risk turning them off from language learning. A child who has a bad experience with ESL in their first exposures to it can have difficulty with second language learning for the rest of their lives.

When teaching young learners you must be a myriad of things; non-threatening, warm, caring and patient... But also knowledgeable, firm and quietly authoritative. On top of this you must also understand how best to unlock a new language for a child with only a limited grasp of their native tongue and the attention span of a goldfish swimming in caffeine.

There are many methods for language acquisition in YL classes. A popular method is vocab and structure drilling via flashcards and repetition. Whilst repetition is very important, flashcards and drilling are boring and not engaging for most students. It also makes the learning teacher focused and learning at this age is much more effective when student focused. For repetition and drills I like to create mini-flashcards which the students then test each other on in pairs. It practices structures and vocab and puts the learning directly in the hands of the student. Obviously there must be some teacher focused drilling first so the language can be obtained prior to practicing.

Another important aspect is TPR (total physical response). This is what I believe those who don't know better refer to as 'dancing'. TPR is a method developed by Dr. James Asher whereby language is not just spoken but given a corresponding physical action. This makes understanding actions though physicality much more accessible for young learners and allows them to link sound and action themselves.

Most importantly, learning must always be engaging for young students. If they are bored they are not motivated to learn. Teaching a child to read in a second language, especially when their ability to read in their native language is basic at best, is a very difficult thing. Teaching a child to identify individual phonemes is key, so they learn to sound out the written word in English. You must find a way of making this engaging for a child.

At this age, role plays are not always an option, although very short exchanges are beneficial. Due to a lack or reading ability and/or vocabulary limitations, role plays should be kept short and very targeted.

You must also teach writing skills, logical reasoning and communication skills. You cannot approach this in the same way you would with a teenager or an adult. Motivation, making the child engage with the language, is key.

Testing at this age is also important as giving a child goals and rewarding the achievement of those goals is affirming for the child. YL exams from Cambridge ESOL are on 3 levels; Starters, Movers and Flyers. These exams are between A1 and A2 on the CEFR and a teacher of YL should be aware of what is necessary to achieve these levels.

Now this is merely an overview of some aspects of YL teaching, there is much more that would take pages and pages of post. But hopefully I have given a little insight to YL teaching. If there are any specific questions on methodology for specific areas, I am happy to answer them.

Now, my challenge. We hear constantly the mocking of 'white monkeys dancing' from the likes of Turnoi and Silverboy... My question is thus: How would you suggest this age group is taught if not as described above? You denigrate the teachers of these ages, but never say how it should be done instead. Clearly YL teaching forms the brunt of ESL acquisition, so teaching this age group (6-10) is a very important field... So please, enlighten us, if you find YL teaching so ludicrous how would you suggest it should be taught?

Return to Index › Teaching the under-10 age group.

Go to another board -