TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › It's me again!!!!!
Beatrix - 2004-11-16

Hi Paul,

It sure was nice to read such a well written piece, and a refreshing change.

However, in saying that, I must point out my viewpoint regarding the reason the Chinese, are learning English, is for commercial reasons, not to share their culture with the world.

Obviously from what you say there is a grammar book focus, to pass exams. It is cost efficient for the Govt for this method, the books stay the same, and Chinese teachers are paid less. It is unfortunate that the students have foreign teachers so little, presumably for the pronounciation.
It is possible for foreigners to teach without materials, as was the case where I was.
There is a good site on esl-lounge.com with all the levels, and phrases can be formed around these level outlines. One can focus on essential conversation basics, and can be found in your Chinese phrasebook!
Then extended as the need arises. Obviously this takes a few minutes prep each day, and notes can be kept where you are up to-you make your own text.
You can draw on the whiteboard, blackboard.
I don't think limited media should be too much a problem. I mean, they want pronouciation and some basic social conversation, although it would be to their advantage if they knew the English words to do with media and computers-OBVIOUSLY.

I think the main thing is to chill, know that you can only do so much, and have resources to do so much. If you can decide to be happy for one year to teach in such a method, then.....don't worry, be happy. Collect the pay and see the sights. You have done the best you are able to.

Hope this helps-
Beatrix. :)

Messages In This Thread
It's me again!!!!! -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-16
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › It's me again!!!!!

Go to another board -