TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Bad English = low wages?
discouraged - 2004-12-27

Recently, I have had the "opportunity" to do some Foreign English teacher recruiting for my school. However, the majority of people who respond to ads and who are interested in positions are "English" teachers, who are not actually from a native English speaking country, and their written English is just terrible!

I don't understand why so many people would feel qualified to teach a language that they cannot fully grasp themselves, and then yet become very upset when they are not offered the teaching position. Many times I have recieved emails from angry applicants because they did not get a favorable response from my school, and accuse us of being racist and "white supremisists" ( I have no idea how to spell that word...sorry!)

It is now at the point that we have to insist on recieving a passport information page just to confirm an applicant's nationality, as it is very often untrue! So many applicants, especially from African countries state that their current nationality is their country of residence, but they were born in Canada, America or England, which turns out to be untrue on their passport.

If a person is from a native English speaking country, with a western English accent ( which is what our students want to learn ) they must be from New Zealand, America, Canada, England, South Africa or Australia. I don't care if they are green or purple, but they also have to be able to speak AND WRITE proper English.

Perhaps this influx of terribly un-qualified English teachers is a possible factor in why teaching wages are so low in China?

This is a portion of an application for a teaching position that I actually recieved:

"i am teacher by profession with diploma in English language and a degree in primary and secondary education.i have thought for four years with a government agency.k kindly send anything you will like me know concerning your recruitment especially detail arrangements.The position going to be handled and the reenumeration's as well.DON'T FORGET MY MAIN CONCERN IS THE RENUMERATION.IF IT IS COOL WITH ME I WILL HONOR THE CONTRACT.Hoping to hear from you soon."

Obviously, this person is not a native English speaker. If you are applying for a position as an English teacher it would be wise to at least use proper English, including spacing and capitalization. Do not threaten the school during your first contact with them.

I then replied to this person, telling them that I apologise but will not be offering a teaching position to them, however, you may want to consider revising your application for future use, as you would get a better response.

A day later I recieved a death threat from the applicant, vowing to find me when they come to China and swearing. This email was also badly written, not to mention the display of ridiculously bad manners and the confirmation that I am glad this teacher will be no where near any of our students.

The thing that really gets me the most is that this person's main concern is that they be paid well. Why should this person be paid nearly as well as someone who is actually qualified to hold the position? Why are all English teachers here in China getting the same pay, when some are deserving real wages, and others more deserving of a replacement more than anything else...

Just a thought.

Messages In This Thread
Bad English = low wages? -- discouraged -- 2004-12-27
True.... -- Sis -- 2004-12-27
shockingly -- disturbed -- 2004-12-27
Small mistake there -- Observe This -- 2004-12-28
By the way... -- Observe This -- 2004-12-27
to all concerned ; Native speakers -- jack -- 2004-12-27
native English -- da yan jing -- 2004-12-28
Native speakers -- jack -- 2004-12-28
Going Native -- Portici -- 2005-01-13
unfortunately... -- discouraged -- 2004-12-27
TOO MANY problems ... n'est-e pas mon chr? -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-12-28
not quite sir... -- disturbed -- 2004-12-28
Just a wee bit deeper, Mr. Disturbed! -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-12-29
well..... -- esl in asia -- 2004-12-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Bad English = low wages?

Go to another board -