TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Dealing with Idiots at work
Oldtimer - 2010-11-25
In response to Dealing with Idiots at work (Dragonized)

Good advice, Dragon..., If you don't mind, I feel it's worth adding that Chinese co-workers in the teaching profession over here are extremely reluctant to take on extra duties unless they receive extra payment or time off in lieu. Yet those same people will try to sweet-talk newbie foreign teachers into doing extra work for nothing. You are of course entitled to decline such requests, but bear in mind there could be negative repercussions later. I've seen fairly competent FT's being shabbily treated as a result of the afore-said non-compliance. Such treatment can take the form of being criticized for a shortcoming that was previously overlooked, such as being occasionally a little late for class. It can even manifest itself in problems with utilities that were reported by the FT regarding his flat being ignored at first. For example, a flooded floor in the dining area of an FT's apartment due to a radiator leak was ignored by the school FAO for three whole days until finally the occupiers of the flat below noticed a huge damp patch in their ceiling and screamed blue murder to the school's headmaster! Are the Chinese vindictive? My experience tells me some can be, but most are too laid-back to be so!

Messages In This Thread
Dealing with Idiots at work -- Dragonized -- 2010-11-25
Re Dealing with Idiots at work -- Oldtimer -- 2010-11-25
Re Dealing with Idiots at work -- Dragonized -- 2010-11-26
Re Dealing with Idiots at work -- EU'ER -- 2010-11-26
Re Dealing with Idiots at work -- Dragonized -- 2010-11-28
Re Dealing with Idiots at work -- M L -- 2010-11-26
Re Dealing with Idiots at work -- FAO's are cunning -- 2010-11-27
Re Dealing with Idiots at work -- FAO-BROKEN -- 2010-11-28
Re Dealing with Idiots at work -- FAO's need exposing... -- 2010-11-29
Re Dealing with Idiots at work -- Oldtimer -- 2010-11-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Dealing with Idiots at work