TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Canadian International Educational Organization, the lowest pay school in Guangzhou
Larry - 2014-06-09

I have worked for Guangzhou Canadian International Educational Organization (CIEO) for one and half years. Now i want to tell you something truth about the lowest pay school in Guangzhou.

The CIEO’s contract is terrible. The lowest pay, very long working hours, the teachers’ apartment is very far from its school.

Low Salary: 8500- 9500/month.(the Guangzhou lowest pay for foreign teachers). Although it was only 8500 for the first two month probationary period. You also have to meet all of their requirements to get the full 9500/month which includes such things as being present and on time, following instructions, having no children injured, and having no complaints from parents.(Just one made-up complaint by one parent.... and you never get the full 9500).

Long working hours: According to the contract you teach 25 hours a week, but you have to be there an additional 7-12 for meetings, office hours, or filling in for other teachers. That doesn't include lesson planning. It does say you have to be "flexible" though.

The foreign teacher turnover rate at CIEO is very high, every month you can hear some teacher quit from CIEO.

Off days: 1.5- 2 days/ week, no weekends(need to work at weekends)

Fine: the number of "fines" in the contract is a big issue including losing a certain amount PER MINUTE if you are late to class. CIEO seem to work their teachers pretty hard and dangle this "career progression" carrot to them all the time.

Apartment: it is shared with other foreign teachers, the shared apartment has 3-5 bedrooms. But the unhappiest thing is that the shared apartment in Panyu is very far from the school/centre. it costs you THREE hours every day on commuting by bus and metro .

Management: CIEO’s management is very messed up. CIEO has no idea of managing foreign teachers.The school always uses Chinese management to treat foreign teachers. If CIEO prides itself on being an INTERNATIONAL school. CIEO needs Foreign Management over Chinese Management.

I would not recommend this company to any foreign teachers, as I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company.

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Canadian International Educational Organization, the lowest pay school in Guangzhou

Go to another board -