TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET
Beth - 2015-01-23
In response to Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET (San Migs)

Firstly, I am not a feminist. I believe women should have equal pay and rights and that's the end of my feelings on the matter. Secondly, the eating of halal meat is absolutely nothing to do with feminism. Eating halal meat is not radical nor is it extremist... Just as simply being Muslim does not make you radical or extreme. I lived in London for the vast majority of my life and have many friends both Muslim and Jewish.

Halal meat is no different from kosher food. An observant Jew would no more eat non-kosher food than an observant Muslim would eat non-halal meat. There are kosher delicatessens dotted around England, especially in Tottenham where I'm from, just as there are halal butchers. There is no distinction to be made between the two, both are specific preparation of food in accordance with religious belief. What another person eats and why is of absolutely no interest or business of mine or anybodys.

I see no problem with using halal meat; when I'm in back in London (as I was over Christmas) I go to the butchers on the high street closest to my house, it's a halal butchers and the meat tastes no different to the stuff I get from a non-halal butchers! As said before, the only difference is the manner in which the animal was slaughtered.

I personally don't see why so many are offended by this, like you are literally saying 'we kill animals better than you and I don't want to be tricked in to eating meat that hasn't been killed by bolt gun!' - in fact the reason behind the consumption of halal meat is born from respect of the animal that died to nourish you... Like most of Islam, it's actually peaceful and respectful. Confusing it with the warped and twisted views of the radicals is the playground of the misinformed and ignorant. Islam has a long way to go, specifically in its subjugation of women, but saying the radicalised idiot jihadists are indicative of all Muslims is like saying the westboro baptist church is indicative of all Christians.

Messages In This Thread
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-19
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- yu2fa3 -- 2015-01-19
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-20
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- yu2fa3 -- 2015-01-20
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-21
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- yu2fa3 -- 2015-01-21
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-22
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- yu2fa3 -- 2015-01-22
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-22
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-23
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-23
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-24
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-24
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-25
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-25
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-26
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET

Go to another board -