TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Course work assistance needed
Beth - 2015-01-28

. In contrast to what Beth said, if I was such a crap teacher then why was I always offered so much teaching work?
Three reasons

1) There is such a demand for learning English most places will hire just about anyone so long as they're western. Getting teaching work in China is not an indication of how good a teacher you are. You should know that... You're the one constantly saying anybody can get a job in China.

2) An actual teacher has already done the hard work, which is getting them to the advanced stage your students are when the get to you. Anyone who is vaguely outgoing or confident can talk or discuss with advanced students and make it look like they're doing a good job.

3) Because of the differences between western and eastern style teaching, coupled with the flood of sub-par tourist-teachers in China, most Chinese people aren't aware of what a good native English teacher actually is. If they were to observe one of your lessons and then one of mine where I'm focusing on speaking skills, they would see the difference.

But don't worry, you'd still get offers for extra work to stoke your ego, because you're western.

Messages In This Thread
Re Course work assistance needed -- Beth -- 2015-01-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Course work assistance needed

Go to another board -