TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › African AMERICAN WORKING IN KOREA
Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-04-28
In response to Korea - Teachers discussion (Chris)

Living conditions in Korea are generally fine. Some places are noisy, smelly,..lots of construction going on. The food quite good. They are proud of it. How do they respond to African Americans? Well Koreans will stare a lot at anybody who is different and especially with dark skin. They are afraid. The kids can be a bit much but you will get them adjusted to your difference from them. If you don't mind being stared at it is an ok place to work. If you want a reasonable social life work in a big city like Busan or Seoul. They have excellent subways, book stores, museums, theaters etc. I learned a lot there. The first 3 months are an adjustment while you pick up basic Korean. Eslteachersboard.com has help in this way with many articles. You need to find places to relax and get away from all the noise and people on your days off. Saunas are great..heat, water, and no talking. I was there 10 years & always received my salary on time but many schools and universities/colleges are sneaky with the pension. Know your rights.

Salaries are about 2 million won for teachers (with airfare and apt.) and my last contract was 2.5 million/month at a special highschool. The best jobs are in college, university and government schools...generally fewer hours and more money and holidays.

Messages In This Thread
ESL In Korea Information Please - Teachers discussion -- Frank Webster -- 2006-04-27
Korea - Teachers discussion -- Chris -- 2006-04-28
African AMERICAN WORKING IN KOREA -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-04-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › African AMERICAN WORKING IN KOREA

Go to another board -