TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Make a Stand! - Teachers Discussion
Yingwen Laoshi - 2006-05-24

Mike, as always I'm not pleased and empathize when I hear of a school jerking their teachers around. But further to a thread being discussed elsewhere on this forum, I can't help thinking that too many teachers are partly responsible for their predicament.

As another poster stated, there is no excuse whatsoever for schools to lie, cheat or scam teachers, but why many teachers just sit there and tolerate such practices, I don't know.

For example, you mentioned having to sign two contracts. WHY sign two contracts? You could have simply refused to sign a second, or gone to the PSB or FAO office, and inquired whether this is legally correct, if you weren't sure.

As regards them holding your passport, the answer to that problem WAS quite simple. Don't give it to them. O.K, I know that they sometimes have it in their posession when they process your legal documents, but once this process is fully completed simply ask for it back. DEMAND it back if necessary, but don't leave their office until your property (or the government's property) is retuned to you. One thing is for sure it's not THEIR property, and they have no right or valid reason to keep it. My present school told me that they intended to keep my passport, but I demanded it back as soon as the legal process was complete.

Regarding the contracted hours, that's simple too. The school is obligated to pay you for the hours they agreed to in the contract, as long as you work them or don't refuse to work them. If the school doesn't provide enough hours for you to work as stated in the contract that is not your problem, and you should still be paid what was originally agreed.

When schools are treating us unfairly we don't have to sit there and take it. Use your contract and the law as a guide. If they told you to rob a bank, would you do it? So why give the school your passport? If they break the contract make a stand until they rectify the situation. You are in the RIGHT. If more FTs stood up for themselves, much less of these corrupt schools would be in business.

Messages In This Thread
Beware of Joy Cram School in Taichung Taiwan - Teachers Discussion -- Mike -- 2006-05-23
Re Beware of Joy Cram School in Taichung Taiwan - Teachers Discussion -- American teacher -- 2015-12-29
Joy Language school - Teachers Discussion -- ? -- 2006-05-24
Make a Stand! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-05-24
Yes! - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-05-24
What being gutless will get you - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-05-24
places to post neg specifics? - Teachers Discussion -- emmaryan -- 2006-05-27
There are places to post... - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-05-28
You're right - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-05-28
The bosses know you are weak and like it. - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-05-25
I Just Hate This... - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-05-25
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Make a Stand! - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -