TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re What Is Happening In China?
Sharp - 2015-07-21

What would have been ludicrous in 1979 was the suggestion that the second largest economy in the world would have been China in 30 years from then. I can remember humble Deng Xiaoping in the White House at around that time, and not so anxious media about it. A month later, Chinese soldiers invaded Vietnam and thousands of them died from local farmers' poisoned drinking water. The loss of faces was a turning point for China to develop, to open its doors to the world.

Today, however, China is the second largest economy; and, when Xi Jingping visits White House in a couple months, he will most certainly not be, or won't have to be, as humble. The media frenzy around the Chinese president's visit to the US in September will be incomparable too. Most likely, there will not be any loss of faces or incursion to any of the neighboring nations around China a month after Xi's visit to the White House, but there may be a few changes in foreign policies in between the two nations. Xi, on the contrary to his predecessor Deng, will probably push the door in the face of the American president and say that he does not need anything from the US, especially their planes in South China Sea.

So, I wouldn't say with such a certainty it is preposterous to suggest that overseas Chinese will not get to our government offices. Without a doubt, I'd say overseas Chinese will significantly influence our business environments which to some extent they already have in many places around the world. To say there simply isn't enough money is with all due respect unsophisticated. Not picking a fight but have a look at all the rich Chinese abroad and think of the way some foreign nations elections work...35 years ago vs 35 years from now-really worried when I see the neo-totalitarian behaviors and education in China.

Messages In This Thread
Re What Is Happening In China? -- Sharp -- 2015-07-21
Re What Is Happening In China? -- San Migs -- 2015-07-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re What Is Happening In China?

Go to another board -