TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re I am Dracula....No, Frankenstein....LOL
Chris - 2015-07-24

I don't think the passport issue will create problems, after all there are occasions when it would be impractical to carry the document such as at the seaside when wearing a swimming costume! A photocopy of the relevant passport pages and entry stamp is all that is needed anyway.

But they weren't swimming at the seaside, and why should photocopies be accepted when they aren't now re degrees, etc? And not accepted by Hohhot PSB WITHOUT THE ORIGINALS! The law is the law, and doesn't take account of the whereabouts of aliens, of which you are one, me too! If the Chinese authorities are angry enough, they won't compromise. They needn't!

I

'm always interested in the logistics behind these events. Did the salad bar that was paying for the promotion apply for a permit? If I was the owner of the salad bar I would have applied for a permit on the grounds that it was a Cosplay activity: China plays host to many such Cosplay events. Were the Spartans individually fitted for their 'shorts'? I can just imagine the tailor asking: "Which side do you dress sire?" so that an allowance could me made in the tailoring. A Spartan could then reply: " I dress to the right but could you also add some more space so I can secrete my passport."

Yep, amusing indeed!

The assembly was deemed a public order offence but part of that was the huge number of Chinese, (mostly young women), who took cellphone photos and posed with the guys.

How do you know that? Said women aren't what gays are seeking! Don't those assonine women know that?

Like Turnoi I do despair at the lengths some expats will go to to earn some money.

If I were you, I'd despair about much more important issues, such as what some Chinese will do to make money. Selling kidnapped Chinese babies, for instance, need I say more?

Compare this activity with the fairly recent enactments in public by middle-aged and older men and women of the 'heroic' struggle against the Japanese in WW2, with some Chinese dressed as Jap soldiers. These events draw huge crowds, so run the risk of public disorder, but are clearly approved by the authorities. Another example closer to home a month ago, was a small military convoy of 4 trucks complete with police outriders and police cars travelling on the main road overlooked by our apartment. The loudspeakers on the trucks were blaring out martial music. Some of the older male Chinese bystanders removed their hats as a sign of respect.
Then there's the "dancing aunties" who pack public squares and other open spaces with music blaring out until quite late at night. Those open spaces include areas outside banks, supermarkets and residential compounds, so the description of these groups as 'square dancers' by some Chinese media is inaccurate. I'm no killjoy but there does seem an element of hypocrisy involved here.

True, but you chose to experience this hypocrisy by being in its midst. Me too! So, we should grin and bear it!

Finally, those Spartans in the picture brought to the ground, and surely put in handcuffs soon afterwards, are the ones we should feel sorry for. I think they can expect serious repercussions. Maybe they wanted that, or were too dumb to realize that could happen to them by being too confrontational. Unlike you, I will call a spade a spade!

Messages In This Thread
Re I am Dracula....No, Frankenstein....LOL -- Chris -- 2015-07-24
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re I am Dracula....No, Frankenstein....LOL

Go to another board -