TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › In support of Stacy and her statements about Nasdaken - Teachers Discussion
Frank - 2006-06-04
In response to Reply - Teachers Discussion (Stacy)

I was the first foreign teacher hired by Nasdaken when they first opened their doors in March, 2005. The owner had known me for two years -- in a school he previously owned -- as a hard-working, dedicated teacher. He invited me to be the first teacher in his new venture. I spent two months prior to the opening of Nasdaken carefully advising him on what to do, and NOT to do, in working with foreign teachers, and effective (and poor) practices in English education. (The owner does not speak English.)

When Nasdaken opened, it was like I had never said anything to him, and all policies and precedures were exactly the same as the training school, which was a nightmare for foreign teachers. Needless to say, after one month, I quit and returned to America.

I returned to another area of China five months later, and eleven months after departing Nasdaken, the owner begged me (via e-mail) to return to Nasdaken stating: "The students need you!" (This plea also came at the same time Stacy was having tremendous problems with Nasdaken regarding poor housing, rent payments, etc.)

Again, before I agreed to return to Nasdaken to teach I had several careful negotiations. As Stacy said, at this time, all the qualified Chinese staff (the ones would had some decent command of English and understanding of foreign teachers) had all quit. This situation left us with a group of unqualified managers who can't speak English (and therefore have no understanding of the student's challenges), and have no understanding of how to work harmoniously with foriegn teachers. Nasdaken follows the archaic Chinese model of control and financial punishment -- which all foriegners know, DOES NOT WORK.

After three years of teaching in China, I now firmly feel that based on my experience in three training schools, that these enterprises are not much more than glorified whorehouses for foreign teachers.

At Nasdaken, 18 (!!!) part-time foreign teachers share one small glass office, with three computers (one of which has never worked). With so many teachers coming in and out, the materials are strewn everywhere, and teaching material is often missing (if it ever existed in the first place).

The Chinese staff all have their own desks and dedicated work stations (computer, etc.) to work peacefully. The foreign teachers office is nothing ut a glass zoo cage for foreign teachers to be displayed for new customers and prospective students like different foreign species of animals. He is our "teacher from Ireland;" "He is our teacher from Canada;" "She is our teacher from Australia," etc. (The foreign teacher is expected to wave and smile at the new customer.)

In recent months, Nasdaken saw fit to open Japanese classes. The two teachers who provide these lessons (one Japanese man; one Chinese man) have their own desks and computers and can work without disturbance -- to prepare one (or maybe two classes a day).

The 18 foreign English teachers must do whatever they can to find suitable material, proper preparation space and time to prepare sometimes as many as five classes a day. Foreign English teachers never know what topics they are teaching until they arrive that day for work.

Tell me this is not discrimination?!?!?

With each passing day, the foreign teacher office situation grew worse and worse and more and more intolerable. Despite my chronic pleas, the managers in Nasdaken did abolutely NOTHING to remedy the situation.

However, they are very good at swift action deducting salary if they feel you have not given a "vivid" lesson (as if they would know -- and as if they helped you with materials, preparation); or asking you for cooperation if they want YOU to do something for THEM.

While they are smiling at you and telling you that you will not receive full salary, a consultant is passing by with a group of new customers saying; "This is Frank, he is our teacher from AMERICA!"
It's sickening!

I am very sorry I ever agreed to return to Nasdaken. I love teaching in China, but I will never work for another English training school again. (Or should I say English whorehouse?)

Messages In This Thread
Nasdaken International English - Teachers discussion -- Stacy -- 2006-04-08
Hmmmm - Teachers Discussion -- Cian -- 2006-07-11
I say "Hmmmmm..." also, but for different reasons - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-11
Sounds like I'd sign a contract today.... - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-07-13
Speaking of "runners"... and "happy" full timers - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-13
Those annoying mindsets the powers push us to adopt - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-07-14
More "Chinese," please... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-14
Well, to be frank again, Frank - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-07-15
the chinese way - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- mj -- 2006-07-14
A long (and possibly pointless?) reply - Teachers Discussion -- Cian -- 2006-07-12
response - Teachers Discussion -- American in Nanjing -- 2006-05-08
Reply - Teachers Discussion -- Stacy -- 2006-05-12
...and another thing - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-06-04
In support of Stacy and her statements about Nasdaken - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-06-04
Subtle extensions of the truth - Teachers Discussion -- Martin -- 2006-08-02
Thanks, and best wishes to you (from my "bad mouth") - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-04
Keeping a watchful eye... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-09
Martin? Where For Art Thou, Martin? - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-17
"Tis but thy name that is my enemy" - Teachers Discussion -- Martin -- 2006-09-06
Martin, a reply from you -- AT LONG LAST!!! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-09-06
Nasdaken obviously DOESN'T CARE - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-24
Websites, etc. - Teachers Discussion -- Chuck -- 2006-08-24
"As the website turns..." - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-24
Have you posted this warning on Raoul's site? - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-04-09
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › In support of Stacy and her statements about Nasdaken - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -