TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re why worry
ExpatMcGee - 2015-09-12
In response to Re why worry (martin hainan)

Yes we all know the stereotype of the loser FT who you have so much contempt for (again the 'not real teachers' zinger lol) but if you spent less time in expat bars with that fairly narrow crowd you'd be able to broaden your knowledge and wisdom instead of spinning circles in your narrow alleyway of visions.

Incredibly, a great many FTs have left better paying jobs (even if only slightly) to work in China for what is essentially a paycut and a loss of comforts. You probably don't know this but quite seriously labourers in my hometown can earn some pretty sweet paycheques. They are in fact often earning more money than you are right now. (since money is your respect factor).

Chinese are baffled by this. Most cannot comprehend it. They only explanation is the FT must be liars who are obviously trying to save face and desperately want respect by insisting they really can do better etc. Right? Because there is no other explanation! Money and career status are so obviously what everyone only wants the most. So .. therefore... there cannot be any other explanation right Martin?

The truth is many an expat FT is a superior man to you. (which may not be saying much). They are superior in that even though they made more money as a 'Shakeys Shift Manager' (than you or their FT income) and even though the construction labourers (making more money than you do here) still live in relatively better homes, cleaner streets, comforts of life...

..they decided to expand their lives. and in many cases that means they married a Chinese citizens and even started a new family and will be taking on huge immigration responsibilities and are actually aware they will have to 'start back at square one' when they do get back home. (again, something making them superior men than you).

and yes some of them do make 'careers' out of it. though I'm not entirely sure what you think 'career' means other than what kind of workplace title/status you have over someone else. But yep if you were like me the first time around you can translate FT experience into decent paid gigs as an ESL tutor and a promotion based on being able to handle Chinese customers at the company.

Oh sorry Martin... you just felt a twinge of annoyance because you just interpreted that as me trying to 'challenge you' over which of us is superior. The reason you felt that isn't actually because you are paid less than the average American construction labourer or that FT return to more comfortable lifestyles (the poor ones) but its because you are an inferior man in character. :(

I'm sorry for you but maybe I can help you learn something. Stay away from expat bars where you get a small world of expats and even better try and see beyond material things. I don't have a teaching degree so you may decide that can't be good advice hehe.

Messages In This Thread
Re why worry -- ExpatMcGee -- 2015-09-11
Re why worry -- John -- 2015-09-12
Re why worry -- ExpatMcGee -- 2015-09-13
Re why worry -- John O'Shei -- 2015-09-12
Re why worry -- San Migs -- 2015-09-12
Re why worry -- ExpatMcGee -- 2015-09-12
Re why worry -- martin hainan -- 2015-09-12
Re why worry -- ExpatMcGee -- 2015-09-12
Re why worry -- John O'Shei -- 2015-09-12
Re: Re why worry -- Fifi -- 2015-09-11
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re why worry