TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Those FTs most suitable for mainland China
martin hainan - 2015-10-06
In response to Re Those FTs most suitable for mainland China (Laowaiguoren)

In the past, I've expressed my admiration of China in this forum: I am very happy living here.

I also have worked with many foreign teachers, certainly more than fifty of them, in my many years of teaching in China.

Having said all of that, China is a nation characterized by a unitary racial identity, an ancient powerful culture, a pervasive proactive government, and an historic parochial fear of the 'other'. Living here is unlike living in any Western country. You may gradually 'fit-in', but you will never 'blend-in'. You will never be Chinese.

Perhaps you may one day become an Australian or Canadian or a citizen of the United States or England. I've worked with FTs from all of those countries and, in my own non-scientific appraisal, I've observed that U.S. citizens have had the greatest difficulty of adapting to life in China. Perhaps this is because my U.S. countrymen often have a faith in American Exceptionalism honed by our shoddy education system and corporate media. Our ignorance of the world is epic and ultimately tragic.

Living in China, even for a year or two, is not for everyone. If you arrive eager to "donate" your skills and knowledge to a "third-world" country, you will surely be lamenting your decision. If you dive in, expecting to struggle and gasp for breath, it will likely be an amazing experience.

Messages In This Thread
Those FTs most suitable for mainland China -- Ron -- 2015-10-06
Re Those FTs most suitable for mainland China -- HerpidtyDerp -- 2015-10-23
Three things FTs have a right to expect -- Twice Shy -- 2015-10-07
Re Three things FTs have a right to expect -- Caring -- 2015-10-07
Re: Those FTs most suitable for mainland China -- Been There -- 2015-10-06
Re Those FTs most suitable for mainland China -- Laowaiguoren -- 2015-10-06
Re Those FTs most suitable for mainland China -- martin hainan -- 2015-10-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Those FTs most suitable for mainland China

Go to another board -