TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › DB I agree with your Plan - Teachers Discussion
Robin Day - 2006-06-20
In response to Re: flights - Teachers Discussion (DB)

I have advised a lot of people to do what you suggest, going over to Korea on a tourist visa and then looking around for prospects. This does not work in some Arabic countries as they do not offer tourist visas. They just started in Kuwait last year. The other reason why our advise is dismissed is that most new ESL teachers want something they feel is certain, a fixed address. They are terrified of flying into a country, like China or Korea, speaking none of the language and looking for a cheap place to stay and looking for a school. That's daunting.

The second part about coming on a tourist visa is that you still have to leave the country to get the work visa. In Korea you just take the short trip to Japan but this too to has to be paid and you enter another foreign language, Japanese. Daunting again.

No, we are not obliged to stay with a school that provides very poor or deceptive living conditions even if they do pay for the flight. Consider the contract broken.

Messages In This Thread
Beware of Han Bao Electronics (Sandy)--Job in Quanzhou - Teachers discussion -- taurus -- 2006-01-31
Make the Employer Pay for the Flight or No GO - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day -- 2006-06-20
True. But there's a catch, as always. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-20
I did what Rheno suggests:reimbursement - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. M.Sc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-21
That's one thing I've not been able to get out of people -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-21
Rheno Rheno Rheno -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-21
Between you, Robin, and my new colleague here...... - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-06-23
Misconception Rheno, Korea, China and Japan - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day -- 2006-06-25
My days here could be numbered.... - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-28
Re: flights - Teachers Discussion -- DB -- 2006-06-20
Go there first, absolutely. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-21
Rheno is right: Be prepared to Leave. - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-21
I hope that SK door is still open. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-22
DB I agree with your Plan - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day -- 2006-06-20
Beware of Capital Language School in Zhongshan! - Teachers discussion -- Alex Wu -- 2006-02-01
Flora Xu is a slave driver - Teachers Discussion -- Alex Jade -- 2006-06-18
Alex Jade or Alex Wimp - Teachers Discussion -- Dragon Slayer -- 2006-06-18
Agreed. And some of us already know we have spines going in. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-06-19
need help to get a teaching position - Teachers Discussion -- Francis Tang -- 2006-06-05
My latest English lesson--a series and a bulleted list - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-02-01
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › DB I agree with your Plan - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -