TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I would not hire you Rheno. - Teachers Discussion
Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-22

You have several chips on your shoulders and maybe you are a bit like me, too outspoken for your own good.

1. Doing a Runner. That is what a contract is for, it binds both parties. Sure leave if the contract is broken but discuss your problems first. I just heard of a couple from the US who took off from Kyongju, Korea, after getting an advance on their salaries. Thieves, and I hope they are caught at the airport. Met several like them. They often borrow money from their mates as well.

2. Clowning/Entertaining Children
Kids are kids and they do not have long term goals. I can remember not having a concept of a week or a month let alone a career. I used to bug my mom over and over "When is Christmas coming?" because I couldn't conceive of 3 weeks. Can you remember something similar in your own past?

Kids do remember the games and fun things you do with them. They don't really understand that you are teaching English. Don't expect serious attention from a 4 or 5 year old and certainly not for an hour class. I can remember walking into a hogwan early one afternoon and seeing my little student teaching another class and another teacher the Walking (talking)Game (eslteachersboard.com 2003) I had played this with him days earlier. That was a proud moment I can tell you, and I realized the game or lesson had taken on a life of its own.

This is mostly a business dealing with children and young adults Rheno. You better teach privately, one on one anywhere you like. Be your own boss, pick and choose motivated students. We teachers don't always want to provide the short term motivation to the kids. It's extra work but it is part of the job. Mother and fathers say, "You must work hard at school", but the kid is waiting for the rest of the exhortation, the Reason Why. Telling a 4 year old she might get into a good university if she works hard is laughable.

Messages In This Thread
Three of the big, annoying mindsets I must fight in TESOL - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-06-22
To do or not to do a runner. - Teachers Discussion -- bob the aging loner -- 2006-06-24
Running... for our sanity! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-01
Agreed, Bob. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-25
I would not hire you Rheno. - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-22
Would I even apply at your school, Robin Day, B.Sc.? -- Rheno747 -- 2006-06-23
I agree with Rheno's clarification - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day -- 2006-06-25
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I would not hire you Rheno. - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -