TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › To do or not to do a runner. - Teachers Discussion
bob the aging loner - 2006-06-24

Hi Rheno, Fish4ESL

Nice post Rheno (doing a runner).

This idea that you are stuck in a job for an allotted amount of time because that was an agreement some time in the past is ridiculous. Dont things ever change? Arent teachers (or school owners for that matter) ever disappointed or dissatisfied? Should we punish ourselves just to do the "right thing"? Furthermore, why should you honour a contract that has not been checked and approved by a solicitor anyway? In truth it has no legal binding.

If you are going to be screwed, why not screw them first? (and dont forget to alert everyone else that the school in question is not reputable).

And Fish, can we conclude from what you said that those in other professions should never move on at short notice if a great opportunity arises? If so, you should be the one to tell them to stay put. I am sure they will bow to you and say "sorry fish, we wont try to better ourselves, we'll do the loyal thing" How restrictive on careers and personal freedom that would be.

If EFL is to be a profession, we need to weed out the bad schools or at least show that we do not tolerate them and introduce methods aimed at weeding them out. At the moment EFL has a very negative image which is mostly down to relatively large number of cowboy employers who neither care about teaching nor care about teachers. If doing a runner is one method of damaging these bad schools then it is ok by me.

Messages In This Thread
Three of the big, annoying mindsets I must fight in TESOL - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-06-22
To do or not to do a runner. - Teachers Discussion -- bob the aging loner -- 2006-06-24
Running... for our sanity! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-01
Agreed, Bob. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-25
I would not hire you Rheno. - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-22
Would I even apply at your school, Robin Day, B.Sc.? -- Rheno747 -- 2006-06-23
I agree with Rheno's clarification - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day -- 2006-06-25
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › To do or not to do a runner. - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -