TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re "High and mighty" is better than sub-standard or mediocre at best
Caring - 2015-11-19

Is it "rabbish" that children acquire their monther tongue in one language only? You clearly don't accept views of others well. Believe it or not, some professionals are trained in the areas you are suggesting, and so no other language is necessary.

Rubbish again! For example, if you are unable to explain a grammar point (which you normally
will not learn in a 4-5 week intensive course offered by a commercial provider), then
you are totally useless as an ESL teacher. According to the needs of your students,
there are several techniques to explain a grammar point, the same for explaining certain
difficult vocabulary in texts. Your one-sidedness and inflexibility to use a wider range
of techniques and methodologies is astounding and speaks volumes.

What words, I think, should be taken seriously out of this "communicative approach" below are the ones where you are suggesting, or at least I think you are suggesting, that younger learners and/or learners at lower levels may be alright learning another language without their first language interference in. Pictures often speak loudly and even the grammar may be explained with illustrations well enough. The bottom line here is that once a learner has mastered the new language adequately enough to understand explanations, reasoning etc, s/he can do without any further aids of his/her native tongue. This is something academic in our nations are well trained for. However, two language concept in studying another language is more feasible, and I go ahead and say it, more profitable for people (nations) where they wish to keep a control over the market, schools and students.

In other words, the communicative approach commomly used these days has its strenghts and
weaknesses. For grammar points, one weakness is that it is teaching only bits of a
certain grammar point instead of a comprehensive grammar rule. Or it chooses to ignore
grammar completely depending on opinion. For explaining vocabulary, you can show
pictures of a bird or an apple, but not for terms like "consitution",
"economy" etc. A sound training in ESL methodology requires a good knowledge
of past and present appraches and their individual strenghts and weaknesses.

Yet again, a predictable conclusion below. Such doctors as you don't have to attempt a professional approach to debates for their names. They are doctors after all, aren't they? :)

If you were not trained in that respect, then even your ESL teacher training is quite
useless.

Sub-standard and mediocre at best, to put it frankly.

Another "insult" now? I don't care at all!....Hahahhaa

Messages In This Thread
Re "High and mighty" is better than sub-standard or mediocre at best -- Caring -- 2015-11-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re "High and mighty" is better than sub-standard or mediocre at best

Go to another board -