TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Buddhism Environment Humanitarianism - Teachers Discussion
Robin Day B.Sc. M.Sc. B.Ed. - 2006-07-07

DB
That was good to point out the links with Buddhism.

It doesn't take a lot of money to make a difference except for buying land and taking it out of the hands of the developers.

I tell my students everyone is my child and they smile and understand me but I don't think it goes deep. Maybe in time.

I found two little brothers in the subway station in Busan Korea. The locals were just sort of brow beating them trying to find out where they lived or where their guardian was. Anyway the kids just left. I saw them again, weeks later, so exhausted from trying to sleep in a bright and noisy subway. It was near Christmas. They weren't begging. They were exhausted.
I could have tried taking them to authorities but they would have run away what with the language barrier and distrust. I gave them some money and they took off fast, so I know they ate that night. In North America if you give money to kids someone calls you a pervert. A sad state.

People often weigh the options of having their own children or adopting. Well there are many more gradations. We can adopt land. If we feel kinship or duty with the rest of humanity we like Raoul can adopt for the time it takes to eat a meal. Many street people/children can't sleep properly and can't wash. They need that too and minor medical care. For the price of a bowl of noodles or a few asperins we can do something.

I remember an unshaven Middle Eastern man (just off the boat) outside my apt. in Ottawa. He was trying to deliver a pizza and did not know the neighbourhood. It was a bitter cold day and he was really poorly dressed, just shoes no boots and gloves, no hat and a thin sort of suit jacket. I had a about 10 new and old coats in my closet upstairs, but I didn't think on the spot. I thought of it later and the pizza pr**ks who hired him and sent him out on the streets in that state.

One evening there was this teenager sitting on the steps of my apt. building in Ottawa. He was sniffing glue from a plastic bag and put it away quickly when he saw me coming. I sized up the situation, struck up a conversation and asked him if he wanted a beer. Ya, I knew he was underage but I still think beer is preferable to glue. We had a talk and a beer and I never saw him again.

Messages In This Thread
The flow - Teachers Discussion -- DB -- 2006-07-06
How to do it? - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke D.U.I., B.L.T., L.S.D., RUN.DMC -- 2006-07-06
Raoul/Rose kids/etal - Teachers Discussion -- DB -- 2006-07-07
Buddhism Environment Humanitarianism - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. M.Sc. B.Ed. -- 2006-07-07
Thanks Robin - Teachers Discussion -- DB -- 2006-07-08
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Buddhism Environment Humanitarianism - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -