TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › A long (and possibly pointless?) reply - Teachers Discussion
Cian - 2006-07-12

Hey Frank,
I hope you're doing well wherever you are and whatever you're doing. I have no doubt that you have more experience in this matter than I do, but having said that I have spoken to full time teachers (who have since left) and they did in all honesty tell me that they were happy enough with the school. I concede the point that my own personal experience was probably rosier than others, as I was only part time.

When I first arrived in China one of the first pieces of advice given to me was to go over any offered contract with a fine tooth comb, (as with any contract really, but moreso in China) and either accept, negotiate or refuse it. If the school breaks the contract, walk out, or better still, tell all of your students that you are leaving and tell them why you're leaving. Nothing terrifies private schools like Nasdaken more than a bad image. It's not very professional, but neither is breaking a contract. Most schools in China will walk all over you if you allow them.

Stacy's story is certainly an awful one, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but when you see cracks in the ceiling, get out of the house. It's easy for any native English speaker to find work in China. Also, the lack of resources in a school in China is pretty much old news. You have to make the most of what you've got. If anyone comes across a school that has perfect teaching conditions and ample resources for each and every one of their teachers, let me know ;)

I'd just like to make it clear that I'm not out to defend Nasdaken. I would definitely agree with Stacy's point about talking to other foreign teachers before signing a contract. This would apply to any teaching job in China. Also, the conditions and treatment she received are certainly unacceptable. Franks' points about the teaching materials (or lack thereof), the glass "cage" (which
I must point out I didn't mind, although I did only spend a fraction of the time in there compared to the full time teachers) and the computer situation are all 100% accurate. The other side of the coin is that I have worked in much worse conditions.

Sorry for the long reply but if it helps anyone who is considering teaching in China, then maybe it was worth the effort to read:)

Messages In This Thread
Nasdaken International English - Teachers discussion -- Stacy -- 2006-04-08
Hmmmm - Teachers Discussion -- Cian -- 2006-07-11
I say "Hmmmmm..." also, but for different reasons - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-11
Sounds like I'd sign a contract today.... - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-07-13
Speaking of "runners"... and "happy" full timers - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-13
Those annoying mindsets the powers push us to adopt - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-07-14
More "Chinese," please... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-14
Well, to be frank again, Frank - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-07-15
the chinese way - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- mj -- 2006-07-14
A long (and possibly pointless?) reply - Teachers Discussion -- Cian -- 2006-07-12
response - Teachers Discussion -- American in Nanjing -- 2006-05-08
Reply - Teachers Discussion -- Stacy -- 2006-05-12
...and another thing - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-06-04
In support of Stacy and her statements about Nasdaken - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-06-04
Subtle extensions of the truth - Teachers Discussion -- Martin -- 2006-08-02
Thanks, and best wishes to you (from my "bad mouth") - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-04
Keeping a watchful eye... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-09
Martin? Where For Art Thou, Martin? - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-17
"Tis but thy name that is my enemy" - Teachers Discussion -- Martin -- 2006-09-06
Martin, a reply from you -- AT LONG LAST!!! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-09-06
Nasdaken obviously DOESN'T CARE - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-24
Websites, etc. - Teachers Discussion -- Chuck -- 2006-08-24
"As the website turns..." - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-08-24
Have you posted this warning on Raoul's site? - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-04-09
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › A long (and possibly pointless?) reply - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -