TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Possible scenarios... - Teachers Discussion
Frank - 2006-07-14

Patrick,

I'm not sure what other forum posters will say or advise you to do, but my feeling is that it will be difficult to identify such schools outright. This comment is not meant personally in any way, and I hope not to offend you, but it depends on their level of desperation.

What I mean by that is they will first try to hire a teacher with a degree(s), with teaching experience (in home country or China), with various certificates, etc., and if they come up empty-handed they will open the door to those without these credentials.

Just know that your lack of degree also opens the door for much tougher negotiation. They will offer you the smallest salary possible (and remember even the "high" salaries are not high). They will likely tell you they are concerned about your lack of experience, etc., in order to make it look like they are doing YOU a favor by hiring you. Be very careful, because the lack of a degree greatly diminishes your leverage and options and increases your vulnerability.

Scour the job postings on this and other ESL websites (again with great skepticism) and you will probably find schools who will consider you. We are in a period of hiring mania, which will subside in late August. The closer it gets to September 1, and the school finds itself without a foreign teacher (or foreign face), the greater your chances are of a placement.

You could get lucky, but you could likely get handed a 6-12 month nightmare. Ask LOTS of questions of anyone willing to hire you. The vague elements in the contract (and there are plenty of them) are the ones that will blow up in your face later. There's lots of landmines about.

They will likely try to make you pay for all the costs associated with your visa, offer less travel reimbursements, etc. I'm not sure of all the ways they might possibly try to exploit your situation.
Keep in mind that they're under pressure to hire someone, but they won't let you see that.

Be sure to read the School Reviews page on this website.

What do others have to say??? Agree or disagree with my projections?

Messages In This Thread
China: teaching english without degree -- Hanna -- 2005-02-25
No Problem -- Chinese Employer -- 2005-02-25
Poignant! -- writpetition -- 2005-02-26
Hey, Knucklehead -- Burakumin -- 2005-02-25
Try EF, Hangzhou -- writpetition -- 2005-02-25
I am also looking for companys that hire teachers without a degree . - Teachers Discussion -- patrick -- 2006-07-13
This is a Prank -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-14
This, is a Prank -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-14
This is a Prank -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-14
This is a Prank - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-14
Possible scenarios... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-14
esl qualifications - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- mj -- 2006-07-14
Yes, mj! - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-15
Here's one for ya... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-14
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Possible scenarios... - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -