TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re On Chomsky
TheMount - 2016-02-28
In response to Re On Chomsky (San Migs)

I think its well put as 'the ugly face of nationalism'. Nationalism isn't a bad thing IMO and might be a good thing. Chile might be getting a little bump of nationalistic pride and it's done right. But some cultures around here seem to have decided 'Nationalism' means 'Versus'. It means what are we compared to 'the other'. Where's our enemy or rival.

When I was a young man in Canada I used to cringe when the state-sponsored TV channel would do these 'Nationalism' types of man-on-the-street interviews along the lines of 'Whats the Best thing about Canada?'. Sure, someone might say "We have the best Hockey leagues!" or "We have the most beautiful landscapes".

But sure enough, even a majority would be something like "We don't have gang violence like the USA!" or something like "Canada is great because we aren't the world's policeman like the USA!" and all these 'We aren't as bad at X like Americans".

I've hated that since. For anyone. If your 'National Pride' is how someone else is 'worse than you' then quite seriously you have a problem with your country. Boast in national pride all you want and good for you - but it should be about your country on its own rights and merits as it stands.

Messages In This Thread
Re On Chomsky -- San Migs -- 2016-02-27
Re On Chomsky -- TheMount -- 2016-02-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re On Chomsky

Go to another board -