TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Missing HK Booksellers-Part Two
Paul Fox - 2016-03-01
In response to Missing HK Booksellers-Part Two (Caring)

I'm confused.....if 4 of the 5 SAID they were arrested for illegal trading, how are they still 'missing'? Surely if they can tell people they have been arrested, they can also say where they are.....can't they? .....or am I missing something?

There's two sides to this one. Firstly they appear to have been accused of writing a book about the love-life of Xi Jing Ping and the authorities don't want it published (at least that what we have been told)

Secondly, China doesn't allow the same 'freedom-of-speech' that the west does

That said, the west has 'privacy laws' that make it virtually impossible to get any information about a person, even yourself sometimes - but China does not have such strict laws on privacy

So I guess the question regarding this book - Is it freedom-of-speech or invasion-of-privacy?

Bill Clinton lost his job because of a different kind of 'job' and Princess Diana was allegedly killed because she had a muslim boyfriend. What would happen to the Queen of England if someone published a book called 'I back-scuttled Betty in the bathroom when we were at school'?

Is it anyone's business? Does it affect the way they do their job? Do we really NEED to know about everyone's proverbial skeleton-in-the-closet?

I'm not saying that it's right that these guys have gone missing, but they WERE 'playing with fire' and sometimes you get burnt

Messages In This Thread
Missing HK Booksellers-Part Two -- Caring -- 2016-02-29
Re Missing HK Booksellers-Part Two -- Paul Fox -- 2016-03-01
Re Missing HK Booksellers-Part Two -- Caring -- 2016-03-02
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Missing HK Booksellers-Part Two

Go to another board -