TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Don't Dismiss The Duke - Teachers Discussion
Frank - 2006-07-27
In response to Raoul Duke - Teachers Discussion (The Earthling)

Fellow FTs and Earthlings,

First of all, I support peoples right to disagree and engage in spirited debate. For several months, I visited and occasionally posted thoughts and experiences at Daves ESL Caf (and still do from time-to-time). I find Daves to be an often hostile and unsupportive forum. Theres too much Kill The Messenger going on over there.

In the beginning, I was coming to ESLTeachersBoard.com for job postings and school reviews only. After growing weary of so many inhospitable and morally-superior posters on Daves forum, I decided to read a couple of months worth of threads on ESLTB.

What I quickly discovered was that many of the posts from Raoul Duke often articulated my own experiences and theories about the pleasures and pitfalls of living and teaching in China. More often than not, I find that Raoul Duke brings tremendous wisdom and insight and wit to his posts, and I also feel he is quite open and generous in offering guidance and support to others who often feel confused or victimized.

Raoul Duke has tremendous connection to and understanding of the common and down-trodden people of China. (Read his postings regarding the "Rose Children," for example.)

I have a tremendous respect for many of the FTs that post on this forum. I have learned much and from many of them, whether through experiential testimony or terse debate. But were it not for Raoul Duke, I DOUBT I WOULD BE HERE AT ALL!

Love him, like him, or hate him; of course I cant do anything about your feelings regarding The Duke (or me, for that matter!), but to dismiss him outright will surely deprive one of insight and understanding and quite a few laughs along the way.

Sure, hes a wise guy, but also a wise and sensitive man.

Hail to The Duke!

Messages In This Thread
Foreign Teachers incident at Gannan Normal College Ganzhou - Teachers Discussion -- James Cross -- 2006-07-22
Dr James Cross vs Gannan Normal College - Teachers Discussion -- John -- 2006-07-22
Trouble at Gannan - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-07-23
Dr Cross vs Gannan Normal College - Teachers Discussion -- John -- 2006-07-23
Re: Gannan Normal College - Teachers Discussion -- carlito bragante -- 2007-04-25
Gannan Normal Uni - Teachers Discussion -- wally -- 2006-07-27
John vs Every Foreign Teacher in China - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-24
For Mr Duke - Teachers Discussion -- John -- 2006-07-25
All in how ya see it... - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-26
Your Biased Discourse - Teachers Discussion -- Ginger Grant -- 2006-07-26
Raoul Duke - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-07-26
Response to 'The Earthling' - Teachers Discussion -- John -- 2006-07-26
Don't Dismiss The Duke - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-27
"The Devil is in the details," as they say... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-22
Paging Dr. Cross... Paging Dr. Cross... - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-27
How can you know, Frank? How can you know? - Teachers Discussion -- John -- 2006-07-27
My mistake - Teachers Discussion -- Frank -- 2006-07-27
Thank-you, Frank! - Teachers Discussion -- John -- 2006-07-28
My reaction to your dilemma - Teachers Discussion -- AMonk -- 2006-07-22
Reaction - Teachers Discussion -- Bill Jacot -- 2007-04-27
Bad English - Teachers Discussion -- Em -- 2007-04-26
Rely to Emily - Teachers Discussion -- AMonk -- 2007-04-27
AMONK - Teachers Discussion -- wally -- 2006-07-30
I stand by my posting - Teachers Discussion -- AMonk -- 2006-07-30
First place to call... - Teachers Discussion *Link* -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-07-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Don't Dismiss The Duke - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -