TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › still dodgy as ever... - Teachers Discussion
ex-teacher in China - 2006-08-02
In response to Hmmm! - Teachers Discussion (Ajarn)

The original post in this thread (http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?read=9722) was posted by me. I'm a little surprised, coming back to it, to hear such good feedback. I guess it really depends where you go. I did note another thread on Erwai, BISU, whatever you wish to call it, warning other potential teachers from going there, so I think it's a mixed bag all round.

I lasted there for 5.5 months, during my time I saw around 4 other foreign teachers come and go (often in dubious circumstances). My wages were never paid on time, and often had to be argued over as they kept trying to deduct money. They tried getting rid of me once already, but were forced to reinstate me after the students in my classes asked the school to bring me back. I was eventually fired (still no reason why) when the kids were on holiday. Threatened with physical violence, evicted from my appartment and not paid for my last month's work.

The teacher who was hired to replace me lasted around 6 weeks, after suffering similar problems he jacked it all in. Then, to top it all off, the school called me and asked me to go back (!) and teach for them in another location, outside of Beijing. They assured me they'd pay me upfront. I happily declined.

Messages In This Thread
Beware Beijing International Studies University - Teachers discussion -- teacher in china -- 2006-03-15
Re: Beware Beijing International Studies Universit -- wendy -- 2007-11-20
Erwai - Teachers Discussion -- Libby -- 2006-05-10
Erwai - The Continuing Studies Department - Teachers Discussion -- Misha -- 2006-08-01
Hmmm! - Teachers Discussion -- Ajarn -- 2006-08-01
still dodgy as ever... - Teachers Discussion -- ex-teacher in China -- 2006-08-02
Beware of Beijing Int. Studies Univ. - Teachers Discussion -- Alexander Henry -- 2007-03-29
Re: Beware of Beijing Int. Studies Univ. - Teacher -- wendy -- 2007-11-20
Tommy the nice guy - Teachers Discussion -- Laughable ! -- 2007-03-30
Beware Ewai,response to Laughable's! post - Teachers Discussion -- Alexander Henry -- 2007-03-31
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › still dodgy as ever... - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -