TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Phil, I understand! - Teachers Discussion
Frank - 2006-09-01

Hello, Phil,

Im very grateful that you took the time to respond and to clarify some issues. I had figured out some time back that the person in question was not a child, but one of the staff members who accused you physical abuse.

I agree with you that China is place to come and work only for about 6 months to one year; but I feel that is because of how jobs for foreign teachers are designed. For minimal wages, we are asked to work such heavy teaching loads, crazy schedules, live in sometimes substandard housing, tolerate late payment or creative deductions in salary, etc. (the list of "crimes" is endless) that long-term commitment seems impossible.

Im an older guy with years of previous teaching experience in America. I came to China in 2003 to be a teacher. I found the work to be much more rewarding than I could have imagined! The relationship I share with my students is very heart-warming, humorous, and productive.

I feel useful here; but that being said, Im with you. Most schools I work for are poorly-managed (at the very least) or downright deceptive and unethical in their practices. After three years of trial and error, I have just now landed a situation that I think will allow me to continue teaching in China for many years (my new bosses are also Americans). I sometimes tell my students, I love teaching in China, but I hate working in China!

I can understand why many younger foreign teachers want to leave China after a short time. I commend you sticking it out for two years. I was at what felt like my "break point" after two years. Theres simply too much frustration and heartache here. Finding light in the tunnel is a slow and sometimes infuriating process.

Please read KSs posting of BlakeSs story about his horrible experience with Kids Castle and the resulting discussion thread:
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?read=11752

(KS took BlakeSs post from Daves ESL Caf and brought it over to ESLTB)

Good luck to you, Phil, wherever you go

Frank

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Phil, I understand! - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -