TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › China Nonsense - Teachers Discussion
KS - 2006-09-04

Yes every these things do happen in China and on a daily basis too. Not just once and a while! I also love the smoking underneath a "No Smoking" sign in public buildings. Yes China does have No Smoking laws but I guess they are for those who care.

I have asked my students about what they consider to be a bad habit that happens in China. One of the most common one is spitting on the streets in public. "They are uneducated people" was what I was told. These are middle school children and they know and many others know too but will not say anything in public afraid that they will "loose face" for speaking out at spitting, using the bathroom, smoking, etc. The face issue is still a strong part of the culture here.

"Face" is not like that of Japan that many of us know or are told about. Your honour! But in China it is different. I still do not fully grasp how it works here in China yet but it plays an important past of their lives yet.

I am sure that there are more that others can add to "China Nonsense" and I would be greatly interested in reading what others have found.

Messages In This Thread
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › China Nonsense - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -