TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Young Students Chase the New Chinese Dream by Studying Overseas
Foxy - 2016-10-23

Totally correct!
My school recently had a visit from a Chinese-Canadian lady who was representing McGill university in Canada. Her job was to visit several schools in our province expressing total disdain at the English ability of many Chinese students being sent there.

Any FT who has taught in a Chinese High School will know exactly what she means. The number of Chinese students who are being sent overseas to study when they have extremely limited English language ability is abhorrent.

Many don't go of their own volition, they go because their rich parents want to brag to their friends that their son/daughter is studying at an overseas university. I have several grade 11 students who will go to Canada next summer, yet their English ability is abysmal. I teach grade 4 students who have far better English ability than many of my grade 11's.

The system itself is corrupt. High school principals are being 'paid off' by rich parents to sign-off on their kids' achievements.

The article is nothing short of nonsense.

Messages In This Thread
Young Students Chase the New Chinese Dream by Studying Overseas -- Former FT in China -- 2016-10-20
Re Young Students Chase the New Chinese Dream by Studying Overseas -- caring -- 2016-10-22
Re Young Students Chase the New Chinese Dream by Studying Overseas -- Foxy -- 2016-10-23
Re Young Students Chase the New Chinese Dream by Studying Overseas -- caring -- 2016-10-23
Re Young Students Chase the New Chinese Dream by Studying Overseas -- Former FT in China -- 2016-10-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Young Students Chase the New Chinese Dream by Studying Overseas

Go to another board -