TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re US Criminals
[poster] - 2016-12-06
In response to Re US Criminals (Xinran)

All the factors are perfectly situated in US culture and
society.

The USA does have one special crime problem but it will rarely ever effect anyone overseas. Illegal Aliens and that is often combined with the inner-city black 'ghettos'. Most of these people will never be traveling to China.

These 'ghetto' areas have highly disproportionate crime rates and we could see them as around a dozen 'zones' on a map. Relatively small circles. If you do not count the crime of these areas - the USA has a crime rate about the same as any other modern country. However, these ARE perfectly situation inside the USA.

But you have to keep in mind, "Crime Rates" don't necessarily tell you everything about crime rates. Let me explain: For about a decade after a major economic upswing my city had a severe shortage of police. They police department had not upgraded in line with the population growth and economic prosperity is a major factor in crime. So, my city had a relatively low crime rate according to the police reports.

Do you see the problem? There was more assaults, more drugs, gangs were moving in, more crimes were happening but the police were simply stretched far too thin to deal with anything but the most serious problems.

My city then upgraded the police department. They wanted to plan ahead for future growth and for a wave of coming retirements so they doubled in size! With the economic boom the city was able to release a huge new budget. We had cops everywhere! They were everywhere and not only did they play 'catch up' by launching a series of drug busts on well-known players but they were getting everyone who looked funny. They were bored and you couldn't leave your house with a broken taillight and get to a corner before you'd be caught and fined!

Officially, our "Crime Rate" skyrocketed! There was a huge increase. but the truth is there was less crime than ever before. They had imprisoned most gangsters and local notorious bad guys and you didn't worry about certain areas at night anymore. But the official reports told you our "Crime Rate" had gone way way up.

China is something like my city before it had enough police. They simply can't enforce the laws everywhere all the time. My neighbors and myself are all very very aware of some criminals doing some bad bad things in a building. If I was in the USA and this was happening I guarantee police would have 6 people in handcuffs already. But the police here simply don't have time, money or resources to have taken care of that problem until finally it turned into a more serious issue. Even after that most of them got away. (incredibly, the same ones started up in almost the exact same location a few months later).

But the USA does have a special problem many 1st world countries don't have and those things may start to disappear as Trump moves around 10 million illegal aliens out of the USA and to whatever extent they start undoing those 'ghetto' type areas.

Of course there are other factors. The USA saw a 'peak' of violent crimes in the 70's but then overall a decline since then. These are often issues of age 'demographics'. Young men commit violent crimes. The 1970s saw a peak in the 'Baby Boom' with a very very large population of young people. Now they have a large population of 70 year old 'Baby Boomers'. However, as that generation passes away there may be another demographic change too.
Likewise, if China has a 'baby boom' they might see a similar spike in violent crime as they get in their 20s.

As for the Chinese way of '2 wrongs = 0 blame' it might be a bad formula for you to choose. There are far far more Chinese (% factored) in the USA than there are Americans in China. This situation is horrible. It seems there was some intense personal/social argument. So that's not a good example to 'cancel out' a racist/xenophobic hate crime you find in China - however - you have a very large Chinese population walking around the 300 million person USA, working or visiting or studying. You have very very few Americans walking around the 1.4 billion person China.

Messages In This Thread
US Criminals -- Xinran -- 2016-12-03
Re US Criminals -- Davyhulme -- 2016-12-04
Re US Criminals -- Foxy -- 2016-12-04
Re US Criminals -- Xinran -- 2016-12-06
Re US Criminals -- Foxy -- 2016-12-06
Re US Criminals -- [poster] -- 2016-12-06
Re: Re US Criminals -- Curious -- 2016-12-06
Re: Re US Criminals -- BeenThere -- 2016-12-06
Re: Re US Criminals -- [poster] -- 2016-12-07
Re: Re US Criminals -- BeenThere -- 2016-12-07
Re: Re US Criminals -- Trump diplomacy -- 2016-12-07