TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › native v non-native - Teachers Discussion
The Earthling - 2006-10-18

Thanks to all of you; Fish, KJ, Laoshi! You all helped to make my point that regardless if we can or cannot identify what is western "culture", presently the students and administrators in the Chinese Educational system LIKE it and WANT TO KNOW ABOUT it. So, native speakers have a better grasp and appreciation of IT and that is at least one reason they want native speakers. Allow me to clear something up. I don't teach "culture", but because I was raised in a particular culture I naturaly incorporate IT in my teaching of language, as I'm sure all of you do. Hopefully this statement isn't taken to be confrontational.

Moving to another reason for the desire for native speakers-ethnocentrism! The Chinese culture contains very strong feelings about and toward peoples of other cultures, Blacks and Japanese for example. Ethnocentrism isn't only about thinking your culture is superior, it also has to do with fear/mistrust of foreigners, especially in the case of China. So, they are becoming more careful in the hiring of teachers, especially in the Public sector. Telephone interviews have now become the norm in order to hear the applicants speak. This, coupled with submission of the passport w/picture weeds out the non-native applicant. It is no matter if this is morally correct or not! This is what they want!

Further, what I have felt during the 13 years I have been involved in Education here in China is that I am part of a process to help produce persons with "internaional" English language skills, especially oral. This means a neutral English accent, not a strong British Cockney, or a Texan drawl, but neutral. Go to the the halls of the U.N. and listen to groups of differing cultures converse in English, or tune into the English news channel, CCTV 9, and you will hear what the Chinese insist on- the neutral English accent.
This is meant for discourse, not debate!

Messages In This Thread
native v non-native - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-10-18
It's Not About Race - It's About Performance. - Teachers Discussion -- Dave -- 2006-10-20
It's all about... - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-20
profit driven - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-10-22
Go! go! go! - Teachers Discussion -- JUSTICE -- 2006-10-21
For Justice! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-21
Yingwen - Teachers Discussion -- JUSTICE -- 2006-10-22
Go for it Justice! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-23
re: native vs. non-native - Teachers Discussion -- Santiago -- 2006-10-19
responce to Fish - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-10-20
Ethnocentrism? - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-19
Yes, but ..... - Teachers Discussion -- Mark -- 2006-10-19
and $ 500 salary ! Hahahaha ! - Teachers Discussion -- Mark -- 2006-10-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › native v non-native - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -