TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › re: native vs. non-native - Teachers Discussion
Santiago - 2006-10-19
In response to native v non-native - Teachers Discussion (The Earthling)

Interestingly, I think ethnocentrism exists in the minds of certain employers; however, if I may deviate from the course of this discussion somewhat, I don't think it exists in their hearts. The reason I find this interesting is my belief that those employers who show a reluctance to hire non-native speakers have a misguided notion that the parents of their students are themselves reluctant to have anyone other than native speakers teaching their children. But I seriously doubt that most employers make hiring decisions based on a kind of belief in their own superiority or the superiority of native speakers over non-native speakers. Granted there are mitigating factors in terms of the suitability of non-native English speakers as Oral English teachers, but those factors have been previously covered in this thread.
As to the notion that parents harbor a sort of ethno-based prejudice, I would seriously question that. I think we can contribute that to the snow ball factor. Its an idea that got a start somewhere and gathered enough material to seemingly be a fact in the way that innuendo often creates a reality of its own. After years of teaching in China and not being able to close my eyes to many of the negatives of this rampant development along with the residual effects of feudalism and political inanity, what I can say with a feeling of gladness is that Ive noticed very little in the way of behavior that would indicate that the Chinese people as a whole have an ethnocentrically created intolerance for other races. In fact the Chinese do have an age-old concept called the others, which seems to be a factor in terms of their ill-treatment of each other. And, upon further reflection, the class system which was fervently attacked over the last century has reared its ugly head again as well. But, as a slight digression, I believe that most Chinese would just as soon rid themselves of the ancient burden of ethnocentrism and chauvinism along with the reputation that goes with it. I truly cannot see that there is a heart felt belief in their superiority over other races. If anything I would say that there is a fascination with and curiosity for the outside world but not a desire to be like us; moreover, I would suggest that it is only the fact of English being a required course and an obviously necessary means of communicating with the outside world that gives us the impression that there is an overriding interest in our cultures. Just as an aside, let me say that when I pool my college students, regarding their destination of choice, the preference is more often France than it is English speaking countries. But then France of course is considered a Western culture also although I suspect that the French would just as soon exclude themselves from a discussion of Western culture en masse. lol

Well, these are just thoughts and Im not even sure I can tie this all together without spending considerable more time on it. But I do find it to be an interesting discussion that Id like to be a part of , so pardon my thoughts being all over the place.

I am however finding it a little difficult to follow not only the train of my own thoughts but also the logic of some of the others. Earthling, for example, has written that ethnocentrism includes the fear and mistrust of foreigners a fairly indisputable truth; however, he then immediately adds that telephone interviews have become the norm. Im not sure how a telephone interview would assuage ones fears or mistrust - just a thought.

Earthling also suggests that we all incorporate culture into our language teaching. Or in his words: Allow me to clear something up. I don't teach "culture", but because I was raised in a particular culture I naturaly incorporate IT in my teaching of language, as I'm sure all of you do.

Truthfully, I sort of shy away from teaching about my culture. Yes, its often unavoidable but it goes contrary to my basic teaching beliefs and my teaching style. Some of the worst textbooks Ive had to deal with in China have been full of such clap-trap Western culture that Ive often had to just relegate them to the trash heap and develop my own lesson plans. But then, these are books that would agree with Earthlings assertion that culture and language are somehow joined at the hip. Personally, Id like to see a more cosmopolitan view taken toward the teaching of the English language. And frankly, those students who are capable of thinking outside the box share my view; furthermore, they are far more animated and motivated when the English lessons revolve around something closer to home. This leads me to my other pet belief that of personalizing my lessons as much as possible so that students can internalize the language and not memorize it. Now, I dont mean this to sound confrontational Earthling, but its obvious that we have totally different styles and in my mind thats ok. Im sure that what works for you works for your students. However, I sense a kind of resentment by students when Western culture is constantly thrown in their face. The fact is English language learning is a means to an end that has to do with China becoming a world player and many students realize that this doesn't mean becoming immersed in Western culture while studying English.

But back to ethnocentrism: I think that Yingwin has made an excellent point. If ethnocentrism is an overt factor in terms of the hiring of language teachers, then why do they hire any foreigners, be they native or non-native speakers?

Finally though, and I must apologize for the absence of brevity here, I think that we can all agree with Earthling about employers wanting teachers with neutral accents. Not that they always get what they want. Ive heard some English accents since coming to China that have ranged all the way from a very thick Scottish brogue and deep south American dialects to Ghana, West African English, all of which are enjoyable to listen to but sometimes very difficult for me to follow. But then, I speak the Kings English as acquired by educated Americans --------- just kidding folks.

Messages In This Thread
native v non-native - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-10-18
It's Not About Race - It's About Performance. - Teachers Discussion -- Dave -- 2006-10-20
It's all about... - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-20
profit driven - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-10-22
Go! go! go! - Teachers Discussion -- JUSTICE -- 2006-10-21
For Justice! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-21
Yingwen - Teachers Discussion -- JUSTICE -- 2006-10-22
Go for it Justice! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-23
re: native vs. non-native - Teachers Discussion -- Santiago -- 2006-10-19
responce to Fish - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-10-20
Ethnocentrism? - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-19
Yes, but ..... - Teachers Discussion -- Mark -- 2006-10-19
and $ 500 salary ! Hahahaha ! - Teachers Discussion -- Mark -- 2006-10-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › re: native vs. non-native - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -