TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › profit driven - Teachers Discussion
KJ - 2006-10-22
In response to It's all about... - Teachers Discussion (Yingwen Laoshi)

Yep, it's all about the profit. Dig this excerpt from an online article recently published called, "Dreaming of Harmony:"

Since the party committed itself to reforming the countryside a year ago, it is difficult to identify much change. In some villages near Dagucheng, roads have been repaved. Abolishing the agricultural tax has saved the average peasant around 100 yuan a year. Next year, fees at Dagucheng's primary school (200 yuan a year) are supposed to be abolished as part of a nationwide campaign to eliminate them in the countryside for the first nine years of education. But like many rural schools, Dagucheng primary is meanwhile cutting costs by relying increasingly on unqualified teachers.

The last line in the above says it all. I realize though that we're not discussing rural schools, but we just as easily could be. The corruption filters down, and what efforts the central government is making to revamp the education system in China will be extremely hampered until there is a true willingness of "educators" to be just that and to not be sx55555555555u9999999999999999999999555555555fr;ptr;;;;;;;; "profit hungry administrators." whoops there's the kitty's writing again - hmm, more interesting all the time.

As an aside, I'd like to mention that I have a Chinese friend who is a teacher at a middle school located here on the university campus. During the summer they fired no less than seven teachers and didn't let them know until the last minute that they wouldn't have jobs for the Fall term. Of course this prevented them from being able to find replacement jobs for the Fall. The reasons they were fired? First because it was rumored that they had been discussing the administration of the school in public. (Not sure what those discussions centered around, but I would guess it had to do with their corrupt activities.) The second, more relative to this discussion, is the obvious reason that they can be replaced by new teachers fresh out of college for less salary, which of course puts more money in the pockets of the corrupt.
So, it is not only we the Western teachers who are subjected to the whims of the profit driven administrators. Moreover, one can only hope that this floundering ship will ultimately right itself before a generation of learners are taken down with it because it is, after all is said and done, the students who are the victims. Or, as my cat would say, sx55555555555u9999999999999999999999555555555fr;ptr;;;;;;;;, and how could you not agree with that?

Messages In This Thread
native v non-native - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-10-18
It's Not About Race - It's About Performance. - Teachers Discussion -- Dave -- 2006-10-20
It's all about... - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-20
profit driven - Teachers Discussion -- KJ -- 2006-10-22
Go! go! go! - Teachers Discussion -- JUSTICE -- 2006-10-21
For Justice! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-21
Yingwen - Teachers Discussion -- JUSTICE -- 2006-10-22
Go for it Justice! - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-23
re: native vs. non-native - Teachers Discussion -- Santiago -- 2006-10-19
responce to Fish - Teachers Discussion -- The Earthling -- 2006-10-20
Ethnocentrism? - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-10-19
Yes, but ..... - Teachers Discussion -- Mark -- 2006-10-19
and $ 500 salary ! Hahahaha ! - Teachers Discussion -- Mark -- 2006-10-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › profit driven - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -