TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re FTs in China, take heart: "6 in 10 Americans don't have $500 in savings"
Trump diplomacy - 2017-01-13

there's a
sense of the old 'feelgood-factor' creeping back in to the minds of the American people

I don't recall the days of the 'feelgood-factor' in the U.S. Perhaps you are referring to the 1950s during the post-war economic boom, thanks to European, Japanese and Russian economies devastated by the war. During Reagan years and the boom in 2005-8, the working class were mere observers, if not victims. In the country clubs, on the golf course, and in the boardroom there has been an uninterrupted 'feelgood-factor' for 30 years.

There are many rural pockets of Trump supporters who believe that the 'white working man' will benefit from Trump's presidency, despite their imminent loss of access to healthcare and diminished social services. I hope that they are correct. I hope that many quality jobs, improved healthcare, better schools and cheaper housing become products of the Trump administration. I don't believe it will happen, but I do not wish him to fail.

I am confident that reduced taxes on the wealthy, an end to 'the death tax', and a conservative Supreme Court WILL be Trump accomplishments, further concentrating capital and diminishing protection of women and minorities.

The fact remains however that Trump is a 'last hurrah'. Demographics are swamping 'white America'. As it is, Hillary received 3 million more votes. Future presidential campaigns will never again be able to rely on white working class support in swing states. Fortunately, the disdain that he is held in by the rest of the world acts to diminish U.S. 'soft power', hastening the transition to a world where global power is shared by a handful of nations. Pax Americana is over.

On a lighter note, I too enjoy living in China and find the cost of living substantially lower than in the United States. I also observe that the U.S. press is stridently anti-China and ignorant of the situation in China. Of course, part of the responsibility for that is due to China's limitations on foreign reporters. The squawking migratory flight of 'old school' FTs from China merely improves the situation for the FTs who remain, working legally and exhibiting their concern for the quality of their service to their students.

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re FTs in China, take heart: "6 in 10 Americans don't have $500 in savings"

Go to another board -