TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Comparison with trump
PonchoNevada - 2017-01-27

Trump has been one of the biggest political surprises in my lifetime. I say that because he actually made quite a few very bold promises in his campaign. When challenged on them he'd simply repeat how he would do them if elected.

But then he actually has been doing them since he was elected!

Americans reading know this is actually shockingly rare in the last few decades. Basically, they will all make promises but are always careful to make them somewhat vague:

"Yes, well i have a 17 point plan that addresses the area of illegal immigration. #1. speak with mayors and develop communication sharing.. 2. commission a federal report by the agencies involved that aims to discuss what directions we can pursue... 3. start a real discussion with the American people that looks at real solutions..."

Zero happens after they are elected other than maybe some bureaucrats prods and poke at technicalities. switching some minor policy with another. Some supporters get a $500,000 grant to 'study the issue'. Its the same or worse 4 or 8 years later.

Trump is mind-boggling. He somehow did a dozen things he promises before he was inaugurated. He basically just promptly started signing bills or orders immediately after walking into the White House. I think he already ordered construction starts on the Trump Wall, I think people are losing track because he does like three or four a day?

I'm not even saying these are all the best ideas. Some may or may not work. Some might get stopped or slowed by forces outside Trump's power. But he is doing what he said he'd do. If some of these ideas do not work then at least Trump will have time to fix or undo them.

But I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. Newt Gingrich was something like that but he wasn't President (i think speaker of the house) but Trump is pretty much a whole new thing unto himself. Its refreshing!

Messages In This Thread
Re Comparison with trump -- PonchoNevada -- 2017-01-27
Re Comparison with trump -- Foxy -- 2017-01-28
Re: Re Comparison with trump -- Curious -- 2017-01-28
Re: Re Comparison with trump -- Foxy -- 2017-01-28
Re: Re Comparison with trump -- Curious -- 2017-01-27