TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Multiple US strikes on Syria tonight
BeenThere - 2017-04-08
In response to Multiple US strikes on Syria tonight (Curious)

Great article by Nicholas Kristof (NYT), Curious, that explains in detail the ambiguity that you may feel about Trump's intervention of yesterday:

President Trump’s air strikes against Syria were of dubious legality. They were hypocritical. They were impulsive. They may have had political motivations. They create new risks for the United States.

But most of all, they were right.

I’m deeply suspicious of Trump’s policies and competence, but this is a case where he is right and Barack Obama was wrong.

One of Trump’s problems is that he has lied so much and so often that he doesn’t have credibility at home or abroad in a foreign crisis like this. I likewise find it unnerving that he came to the right decision in an impulsive way, changing policy 180 degrees after compelling photos emerged of children gassed in Syria. Should a president’s decisions about war really depend on the photos taken?

For all the legitimate concerns about the risks ahead, now again we just might have a window to curb the bloodshed in Syria. I’m glad Trump took the important first step of holding Assad accountable for using chemical weapons. But it’s all going to depend now on whether Trump, who so far has been a master of incompetence, can manage the far more difficult challenge of using war to midwife peace.

Messages In This Thread
Multiple US strikes on Syria tonight -- Curious -- 2017-04-07
Re Multiple US strikes on Syria tonight -- BeenThere -- 2017-04-08
Re Multiple US strikes on Syria tonight -- FTinPRC -- 2017-04-08
Re: Re Multiple US strikes on Syria tonight -- Curious -- 2017-04-08
Re Multiple US strikes on Syria tonight -- Silverboy -- 2017-04-08
Re Multiple US strikes on Syria tonight -- Alias Taffy -- 2017-04-07
Re Multiple US strikes on Syria tonight -- Silverboy -- 2017-04-08
Re Multiple US strikes on Syria tonight -- caring -- 2017-04-09
Re Multiple US strikes on Syria tonight -- Alias Taffy -- 2017-04-10
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Multiple US strikes on Syria tonight

Go to another board -