TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Japan School Warning: Unitas Kofu - Teachers Discussion
Anna - 2017-04-13

I would like to add to this.

I was employed at Unitas March-May 2016.

I started my visa application in February of 2016 after getting an acceptance email from Unitas for a teaching position. I knew immigration would be clogged with applications so I asked about how the timeline would play out in terms of starting work. Was told in an email that I could do the training and then "hang out/travel" while my visa finished processing.

Not the case. They gave me one day of training and then immediately started me working full-time. This is absolutely illegal. I consulted hello work and an immigration lawyer to confirm I would. It be held responsible. I also called in sick one day and the manager came to my house (FYI ME=160cm/41kg female, manager= 200cm/90 kg male; if those aren't immigration tactics, I don't know what are) to make sure I was well and truly sick. They rent the apartment on your behalf and charge you more than the actual rent.

I quit because I assumed if they were willing to break the law at the get-go, they'd break it any chance they got. And they will. Unpaid overtime, mandatory outside work events etc.

I got a job doing marketing at another company, but when I asked for my taishokushomeisho, I've gotten the runaround.

If they don't submit the proper papers, I plan on reporting them to immigration. My case was not the first and I'm sure it isn't the last. There are better and more empathitic schools out there. Apply to them.

Messages In This Thread
Japan School Warning: Unitas Kofu - Teachers Discussion -- Kelsey -- 2007-11-01
Re Japan School Warning: Unitas Kofu - Teachers Discussion -- Koufuhito -- 2016-10-28
Re Japan School Warning: Unitas Kofu - Teachers Discussion -- Anna -- 2017-04-13
Re Japan School Warning: Unitas Kofu - Teachers Discussion -- Anna -- 2017-04-13
Re: Japan School Warning: Unitas Kofu - Teachers Discussion -- Geoff Scoates -- 2008-08-16
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Japan School Warning: Unitas Kofu - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -