TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Some more to add - Teachers Discussion
Rheno747 - 2007-01-30

Rheno here once again. Let me add a few more guidelines to my newbieguide. Enjoy!

4. Never go overseas (nearly) broke. You may have to make a run for it when TESOL doesn't turn out as promised. You need to have at least enough for a plane ticket home socked away in case things get, well, "dicey".

5. Don't fall into one of those "teach for free" deals some TESOL outfits offer. This entails you flying to a country, going to a program for a week or two, and then getting a job at a school as a TESOL teacher for a few weeks or months while you finish up the cert. Do I have to tell you this is a risky deal? I sure as hell wouldn't do it. What happens if you show up on day one and face classes of misbehaving students, many of which will be classes with 60,70, even 80 students? Can you cut out? Probably not. You'll be stuck. This "deal" is just another desperate attempt to get teachers to places where no one who is experienced wants to go. Experienced teachers know about the jobs you'll be getting if you go this route, which explains why those jobs are open in the first place. We don't want 'em!

Good luck.

Messages In This Thread
The Ultimate Newbie's Guide (For Newbies only) - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2007-01-29
Information is valuable ..... - Teachers Discussion -- Martin McMorrow -- 2007-01-31
Not all are at your level - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2007-02-08
And one other thing - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2007-02-10
Some more to add - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2007-01-30
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Some more to add - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -