TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I AGREE! - Teachers Discussion
Another American Teacher - 2007-03-08
In response to Teaching in China - Teachers Discussion (English teacher in China)

OhmaGod! Thank you, thank you, thank you English Teacher in China!

I had initially refrained from posting a shrill STAY OUT OF CHINA reply to this post. I wanted to give someone the chance to say something positive (and perhaps someone will), but I CONCUR!

I could go on and on and on listing reasons why Kathleens plans would likely yield volumes of heartache and frustration (possible mental breakdowns, divorce, etc. Hahahaha!) should she go forth to China with a husband and four children in tow (for 4000RMB per month). Forget about it!!!!

The only way I could envision this plan not being a disaster is if Kathleen were to come here first alone, and begin the job and assess the situation. Then if she determines that the conditions are conducive to bringing the rest of her family over from home, fine. But I feel almost certain that she would later decide to let them stay at home.

I respect that Kathleen has asked for comments from someone who is more similar to her and in a similar situation (I am in China, but a single, older man). However, I think someone who fits her profile is an exotic bird here indeed!

Kathleen,
Please forgive me for not elaborating my reasons to support my plea to avoid this plan. Just know that if needed, I can give you an abundance of reasons (mostly drawn from painful experience) why you should design another plan for you and your familys future together.

China is full of wonderful qualities, but it is also loaded with surprises, disappointments, and deceptions

And yes, I agree with ETinC that Chinas streets are MUCH safer than those in the U.S., but your children might attract a level (depending on your chosen location) or style of attention (gawking -- and comments/questions) they might not always enjoy.

Sincere best wishes to you, Kathleen.

Messages In This Thread
(Message Deleted by Poster) -- Kathleen -- 2007-03-07
Teaching in China - Teachers Discussion -- English teacher in China -- 2007-03-08
(Message Deleted by Poster) -- Kathleen -- 2007-03-08
Advice on China - Teachers Discussion -- Experienced in Asia -- 2007-03-09
I AGREE! - Teachers Discussion -- Another American Teacher -- 2007-03-08
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › I AGREE! - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -