TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › EF Urumqi - Teachers Discussion
ai jiang shan - 2007-03-26

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN,

This letter is to inform you of the gross misconduct by one of your franchise schools, EF Urumqi Youhao. During my one year of service for Ef Urumqi I have seen the mistreatment of many foreign teachers. Now that I personally have been ill treated, I feel it is time to say something to protect the professionalism of your school. I am aware of EFs prestigious reputation and I feel EF Urumqi does not uphold your standards of professionalism and service.

I arrived in Urumqi on 3 April 2006. The first couple of months were fine as our centre had a steady group of teachers and class loads upheld those stipulated in the contract. Then, John Doe was fired for reasons pertaining to appearance. EF felt that John was too old though he was only in his early 50s. He was fired with only one days notice and had his visa and apartment immediately revoked. As a teacher who worked closely with John, I can attest to the fact that he was a great teacher and was well liked by his students.

The DoS for EF Urumqi, John Doe2 was fired shortly there after. John Doe2 worked as a liaison between the teachers and management and his dismissal seriously disrupted communication between the two parties. At this time, breaches of contract occurred pertaining to overtime, extra-curricular activities (such as oral placement interviews and the sending of foreign teachers to recruit students intrusively in locations such as KFC and street corners) and the sending of teachers to remote locations without appropriate travel pay. Shortly thereafter, EF Shanghai was informed and appropriate amendments were made to protect the teachers interests. However, after pay was allotted for some travel time, the extra hours were not counted toward the max hours per week. Thus, many teachers were forced to work overtime without pay.

EF Urumqi Youhao then became embattled in two racial discrimination cases. The first case was Jane Doe, a female African American teacher. Janes first couple days of work were filled by complaints from EF local staff stating that they were afraid of Jane Doe and that she was not a nice person. They stated that Jane did not talk to them enough when she came to and left work everyday. The AdoS, of EF Urumqi then began making claims that Jane was not a native English speaker though she had grown up in Toronto for her entire life. After it was proved that Jane was a native English speaker, the administration changed their line of claims by stating that students and their parents were complaining about Janes teaching skills. However, during Janes first month of teaching I worked closely with her as she observed many of my classes. I found that all of the students loved Jane and were very interested in her life and background. After blatant acts of racism from a number of local staff members, Jane was forced to leave Urumqi on her on will. The situation had become too difficult for her to deal with.

The next case of racial discrimination occurred between John Doe3 and EF Urumqi Youhao. Many of the same things that happened with Jane during the early part of her contract also happened to John. I was even approached by some staff members who asked me if I thought John smelled bad. There were also trumped up claims made stating that Johns students could not understand him. As someone who worked closely with John, I can attest that his courses were clear and precise. In a last ditch effort to relieve John of his duties; EF Urumqi fired him because of a medical issue that for privacy reasons I am not disclosed to talk about. If you are interested in discussing this issue, please contact Tonya Feng at EF Urumqi China.

The next incident of mistreatment and unlawful firing of an employee occurred in January 2007. Mary Doe came to Urumqi to teach with the assurance that Urumqi was a climate that supported a healthy lifestyle for asthmatics. Obviously, if you have ever been to Urumqi you will know this is not the case. Anyways, when Mary arrived she started suffering from frequent asthma attacks and was forced to go to hospital for treatment. Her first incident coincided with the end of her probationary period and instead of refunding her ticket to return home, EF extended her probationary period and shortly thereafter fired her. After lying to her about environmental conditions in Urumqi, EF left Mary without an apartment, a paycheck or a plane ticket home.

My personal mistreatment from Urumqi EF came after I suffered a major injury after falling into a hole in the street and breaking my left ankle. EF did not assist me in seeking medical care and if it were not for the good grace of my friends here in Urumqi I would have been in a sad state. I had a major reconstructive surgery and spent two weeks in the hospital recovering. I was only visited by EF local staff one time and during that visit they tried to get me to sign another year contract. I was under the influence of pain medication (a low dose of morphine) and as a result, my doctor friend convinced me to discuss the issue when I was more coherent.

I had planned on returning to work following a recovery. EF assured me that this was not a problem. I was asked to come to the school one month after my recovery to discuss work options. When I returned to the school ready for work I was informed by the DoS that my contract was being terminated for too many absences. I understand that this is within contract boundaries so I swallowed my pride and decided that for my partners sake (Janet Doe, who was also teaching full-time for EF Urumqi) I would recover in Urumqi while she finished her contract. I also paid out of pocket for all medical costs and when the insurance reimbursement came in from Erika insurance EF intercepted the funds and held them in their bank account. I nearly had to hire a lawyer to help retrieve my funds. Under this threat, EF gave me my reimbursement.

It is now the end of a full year contract, Janet and I have not been given the full amount of return plane tickets, and we have not received any bonuses despite contract stipulation. EF Urumqi has stated that we do not deserve to be given any bonuses. Janet will not receive hers because she missed one class and I will not receive mine because of my medical issue. This is despite the fact that we were given stellar reviews during peer and student assessment.

I should also add that during my one year of service with EF more than 75 percent of the teachers I worked with suffered major injuries, some of them life threatening. In all of the cases EF Urumqi offered minimal medical assistance or help with visa extensions or return to home country for medical care. EF Urumqi has all but stopped the bonus program that they use for recruiting and continued excellence in teaching. Even the most adept teachers have only received 1000 of the 6000 yuan promised at the beginning of the year for contract completion. Others have received absolutely nothing. I have seen many teachers suffer at the mercy of the shameless EF local management.

EF begins its contracts with teachers on good faith. It is therefore EFs responsibility to take care of its foreign teachers when problems arise. My year in Urumqi has shown me that this is not the case. The examples of foreign teacher mistreatment listed above are only the most severe cases of what I have observed over the past year. There have been many other incidents that have negatively influenced the reputation of your school and over time Im sure you will find letters on the internet that discourage teachers from working at Urumqi EF. I write this letter not to criticize all EF schools but only to bring to your attention the misconduct of one school in Urumqi. I hope for the sake of EFs integrity and its reputation as one of the best private language schools in China you will look into the matter and take steps to improve conditions for foreign teachers at EF Urumqi Youhao.

Sincerely,

A former EF Urumqi teacher

Messages In This Thread
EF Urumqi - Teachers Discussion -- ai jiang shan -- 2007-03-26
Re EF Urumqi - Teachers Discussion -- Dobe -- 2011-05-28
Re: Re EF Urumqi - Teachers Discussion -- I am a former teacher at this school -- 2012-02-03
Re: Re EF Urumqi - Teachers Discussion -- Magister -- 2012-02-04
Re: EF Urumqi - Teachers Discussion -- Matthew -- 2008-09-08
One of EF Victims - Teachers Discussion -- Ai Mei Ren -- 2007-07-12
Re: One of EF Victims - Teachers Discussion -- Matthew -- 2008-09-08
Re: One of EF Victims - Teachers Discussion -- Pete -- 2007-11-17
Re: One of EF Victims - Teachers Discussion -- Doe -- 2008-01-31
EF crap! - Teachers Discussion -- TheLordOfSomehting -- 2007-03-26
EF Hutton - Teachers Discussion -- Gored by the Rings -- 2007-03-28
Re: EF Hutton - Teachers Discussion -- indigenous -- 2007-11-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › EF Urumqi - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -