TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › the Product - Teachers Discussion
ManchuQueue - 2007-04-17
In response to But, Don't Forget... - Teachers Discussion (Yingwen Laoshi)

English Teacher,

Let me say that I respect your opinions. I consider you to be a responsible, mature and professional teacher. Pity there are not more of your ilk in the ESL world.

I find little in your post to quarrel over. However, not discounting the culpability of "leaders, deans, managers and administrators of many schools that employ teachers of EFL", I would suggest that we focus on the FINAL PRODUCT rather than each individual that is involved in the process of bringing the product to market. While you CAN present a valid argument to administer punishment to everyone involved, I still believe that the weighted offense is committed by the teacher. What percentage of blame do we mete to each offender and how do we delineate responsibility?

BLAME...we can play the blame game. Kill the messenger is another good game. What is accomplished if we do..? This serves only to divert attention from the guilty.

"Fair is foul, and foul is fair:
Hover through the fog and filthy air." (Shakespeare's MacBeth)

ACCOUNTABILITY....yes.

Teacher's TEACH!

They, and they alone, provide the finished product for consumption. Others, though they certainly appertain with regard to the product getting to market are not "equally" guilty. I think that we should separate the "Marketing" side of the equation from the "Manufacturing" side.

An individual commits a crime. He is processed by the system. Arraigned, charged, tried, sentenced and incarcerated, is this "Justice?" If I follow your reasoning to its conclusion then I must bring a suit against "Society." If each individual is a product of his environment then each of us is guilty of contributing to the commission of the crime. Further, at what number do you conclude that you have implicated all persons that the law deems contributory in the litigation of the accused.

Keep This Simple.

Start with the teacher. Then, let the hammer fall where it will.......

SCENE I. A desert place.
Thunder and lightning. Enter three Witches
First Witch
When shall we three meet again
In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch
When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won.
Third Witch
That will be ere the set of sun.

First Witch
Where the place?
Second Witch
Upon the heath.
Third Witch
There to meet with Macbeth.

First Witch
I come, Graymalkin!
Second Witch
Paddock calls.
Third Witch
Anon.

ALL
Fair is foul, and foul is fair:
Hover through the fog and filthy air.

Messages In This Thread
Educational Malpractice - Teachers Discussion -- ManchuQueue -- 2007-04-15
But, Don't Forget... - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2007-04-16
the Product - Teachers Discussion -- ManchuQueue -- 2007-04-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › the Product - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -