TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Experience but no degree - How to go to KimchiLand? - Teachers Discussion
Diarmuid - 2007-07-19

I have been teaching English more than full time for more than 5 years. I have taught at a fairly well-known school in Canada, and have tutored more than 150 students on subjects ranging from beginners ESL to University English. Due to some complications which need not be explained here, I was unable to finish my degree. Instead, I opted for self-education to a level at which I am able to confidently guide students through several university subjects and all levels of highschool. I have a great deal of experience teaching tests such as the IELTS, TOEIC and the old TSE, although my primary area of expertise is the TOEFL iBT. I am reputed by some to be one of the best iBT teachers in my city and I have a lot of business based on the test. In addition, I have had about 4 years of experience in business and have also enjoyed good business teaching corporate communication, interview skills and the like. In all, and without wanting to sound arrogant, I feel that I am equally, if not more, qualified to teach ESL than my contemporaries who do have degrees. Going back to school for a full year is not an option at this point in my life (I'm 29 years old) due to a number of resposibilities I have. I have heard about websites that will issue "diplomas" that are paid for but not earned through coursework, but I do not know if this is a viable option.

I would very much like to work for a year in Korea as I have studied much about the history, politics, culture and language of the area, in addition to making many close Korean friends over the years.

My understanding is that work visas in Korea are issued only to degree holders.

I would like to ask all of you who have some knowledge in this area if there is any strategy, company, backdoor or loophole that may be friendly to my situation?

Any helpful comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Experience but no degree - How to go to KimchiLand? - Teachers Discussion -- Diarmuid -- 2007-07-19
no kinchi - Teachers Discussion -- four -- 2007-07-28
Ya - Teachers Discussion -- diarmuid -- 2007-08-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Experience but no degree - How to go to KimchiLand? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -