TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Interesting ideas about teacher's qualifications - Teachers Discussion
Wow - 2007-09-26

IF a degree is needed in China or anywhere else to obtain proper work permits, then the law is the law. I do want to say, however, that all this talk of a 'degree' somehow making you qualifed to teach English is quite a joke for me.

I went to a North American University but was born elsewhere and had my formative years of education there. I did not complete the degree. I did one year only and obtained one B, the rest all A's - nothing less. It was a personal choice not to return. I do, however, hold several certificates mostly in Business, as well as other certificates and diplomas - but, NO DEGREE. I have been a reporter for community news and a newsletter editor for 2 newsletters - one for a City Board of Education Entrepreneurial Program. I have also worked with 2 city programs tutoring non-English speaking immigrants.

While at University, I decided to run a typing service for students doing their essay papers, etc. My goodness, what a shock to this new North American who is from a country where I would not be considered a Native English speaker - wow. The vast majority of papers I looked at were quite atrocious to state it lightly when viewed in terms of their grammar, spelling, punctuation and proper sentence construction.

These people upon graduating will have a degree and because they are from North America will be considered native english speakers, yet their English was atrocious.

Last year, I worked as an English teacher in Mexico. One American girl with a degree in English Literature (of all things) from a well-recognized university in California had to go out and purchase a book on Grammar, etc, because she was clueless how to teach English as a Second Language - quite funny.

Does a degree (in any discipline) mean you are qualified to teach English. I'll let you answer that question.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Interesting ideas about teacher's qualifications - Teachers Discussion -- Wow -- 2007-09-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Interesting ideas about teacher's qualifications - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -