TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Hey you! - Teachers Discussion
WOW - 2007-09-27

"Using a term like "red indians" in America in the workplace word be grounds for dismissal."

Fish, I would like to offer the following as "Food for Thought. It is in no way intended to be an 'attack' on your contribution that I am well aware was not meant to be derogatory..

Sometimes this type of terminology is very subjective. Being from the Caribbean, I do not at all like being called African American which is what I would be called in America and what I have been called from time to time. I don't want to be called colored, African American or some of the other juicy terminology out there that supposedly describes me.

I am simply black - period. That is how most 'black' Caribbean peoples would describe themselves, and so would 'black' Africans from Africa for that matter, and also 'black' people here in Canada (from my experience).

Keep in mind that America should not necessarily be the standard for others. There is so much wrong with its system, but this is not the avenue for that discussion.

In the Caribbean, we would probably say 'red Indian' in order to differentiate the North American Indian from the Indian from India (of which we have many descendants living in the Caribbean), and from the native Indians of the Caribbean (not that there are many of those left). It would not be considered a derogatory term, nor would it be considered offensive.

Take care, Fish. Have a good day all!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Hey you! - Teachers Discussion -- WOW -- 2007-09-27
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Hey you! - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -