TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: World International English Changzhou Centre - Teachers Discussion *Picture*
Raoul Duke - 2007-10-31

I don't go quite as far as Turnoi, myself, although the things he mentions are a danger.

It's still not too unusual for a school to ask you to get yourself here on an L visa...with the promise to upgrade you to a residence permit once you've arrived. This deal is OK as long as the school makes good on this promise, as most places do. It basically lets the school see you actually here before committing time and resources to you...you'd be amazed at how many people accept TEFL jobs abroad and then back out or simply disappear.

Of course, the deal really sucks if they don't follow through...as also happens sometimes.

Converting an L to a Z/residence permit generally involves a trip to Hong Kong or Macao or other Consulate outside the mainland. Some schools will cover the cost of this. A few places may still have the connections to convert it domestically, but that number is declining as the rules tighten up.

It's definitely better to come here with the Z/Residence permit in hand. I wouldn't necessarily turn down a job that wanted me to enter first on an L, but I'd be cautious about it. And I'd at least want a signed contract and a written contractual agreement to provide me a residence permit upon arrival. In China a contract may not be much, but it's all we got...

Raoul
Raoul's China Saloon
http://raoulschinasaloon.com

Messages In This Thread
Re: World International English Changzhou Centre - Teachers Discussion *Picture* -- Raoul Duke -- 2007-10-31
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: World International English Changzhou Centre - Teachers Discussion *Picture*

Go to another board -