TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: DISCRIMINATION in Teaching English Language - Teachers Discussion
R.J. - 2007-12-05

I would just like to share my thoughts on this. I had a similar experience here in the Philippines. First off, I am a native speaker, born and raised in America. I'm just not white, since both of my parents are Filipinos (that's what I was doing here, by the way).

I could say I felt discriminated at one point in my career. I was a new teacher applying in one of the academies here (I don't want to mention names or go into details). I was confident I would be hired, and I was. The catch was, since I wasn't "white", they would offer me a higher salary than my fellow Filipino co-teachers, but I wouldn't be able to make as much as a "white" native speaker. Since it was my first job as an ESL teacher, I was focused more on the experience and not the pay, so I took it. But I did have to swallow my pride, and definitely, I did feel discriminated at that time.

I am now in my fifth year of teaching ESL, it's great, and I love it. I'm working in another academy, making more money than before. My advice to you Jemon is: yes, there is discrimination, no doubt, but I took it as a challenge and I told myself I wouldn't let it affect me or my performance as a teacher. I took it like this, "These people won't give me what I want? I'll just to have to prove to them what I'm worth." And trust me, they will recognize if you are sincere with your work. Let it be an inspiration for you to become better. Because since we aren't white, most of the time we will end up with the short end of the stick. Let your skills be strong point and not your skin color, and with that, you won't fail.

That's it teachers, may you all have a good day.

Messages In This Thread
DISCRIMINATION in Teaching English Language - Teachers Discussion -- Jemon Mamar -- 2007-11-08
Re: DISCRIMINATION in Teaching English Language - Teachers Discussion -- R.J. -- 2007-12-05
Re: DISCRIMINATION in Teaching English Language - Teachers Discussion -- JNET -- 2007-12-08
Re: DISCRIMINATION in Teaching English Language - -- scoob_e_doo -- 2007-11-26
Re: DISCRIMINATION in Teaching English Language - Teachers Discussion -- Australiaman -- 2007-11-08
Re: DISCRIMINATION in Teaching English Language - Teachers Discussion -- JNET -- 2007-11-27
Re: DISCRIMINATION in Teaching English Language - -- C'mon Get a life. -- 2007-11-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: DISCRIMINATION in Teaching English Language - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -